Max IV chain maintainance

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Max IV chain maintainance

Max IV chain maintainance

I've looked on this board and on utube and been unable to find one. What i'm looking for is a video that shows the proper technique for tensioning the chains for a MAX IV. I've seen the one Mike did for the max 2, it's a great video but does not cover the max iv. Can anyone direct me to one or send me a link please?

The basic premise is the same as far as how tight you want the chains. The only difference is the actual tensioners themselves. Loosen the bolt that goes through the sprocket. Then press down on the sprocket until the chain is at the proper tension. Hold there and tighten bolt. Two people can do it very easily. With one person, you have to get a little more creative. I usually use a 2x2 piece of wood to hold tension down on the sprocket while I tighten the nut/bolt.

Ok, i can do that. How does your answer relate to the chains on the t-20 itself (primary chains?)? It would be different, right?

Quote Originally Posted by rcn11thacr View Post
    Ok, i can do that. How does your answer relate to the chains on the t-20 itself (primary chains?)? It would be different, right?
    Right, for the chains going from the T20 to the rear sprockets, that idler is held in place by four flat pieces of steel. Two short ones coming from the frame up to the sprocket and two long ones going from the sprocket back to the rear of the frame. You should start by loosening the nut/bolt that goes through the center of the sprocket. Next, loosen the two bolts below the sprocket that hold the short pieces of flat steel in place. Finally, at the rear of the frame, loosen the inside nut, that is the one towards the front of the machine. Now you are ready to tighten the chain.

Tighten the chain by tightening the nut at the rear of the machine. Once the chain is tight, reverse the process. Tighten the inside nut at the rear of the frame. Then tighten the remaining three nuts/bolts.

Hope that made sense. :don'tknow:

Thanks for the help Mike

This needs a video. I think I know what you mean but a video would help a lot. Perhaps someday someone will do one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Right, for the chains going from the T20 to the rear sprockets, that idler is held in place by four flat pieces of steel. Two short ones coming from the frame up to the sprocket and two long ones going from the sprocket back to the rear of the frame. You should start by loosening the nut/bolt that goes through the center of the sprocket. Next, loosen the two bolts below the sprocket that hold the short pieces of flat steel in place. Finally, at the rear of the frame, loosen the inside nut, that is the one towards the front of the machine. Now you are ready to tighten the chain.

Tighten the chain by tightening the nut at the rear of the machine. Once the chain is tight, reverse the process. Tighten the inside nut at the rear of the frame. Then tighten the remaining three nuts/bolts.

Hope that made sense. :don'tknow:
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

The chain adjusters for the Max4 rear as Mike described are a real piece of work. Its a three or four hand chore that sometimes necessitates the pulling of the engine cradle. You don't usually have to pull it, but more often than not I end up doing it.

As a work around I've been working on a set of manual adjusters for the Max4 for some time. Hopefully this year I'll finalize them, and may even come up with an automatic adjuster. Stay tuned.

Noel... Can we assume you will market a kit for this?
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

I look for many ways to market products and earn a living, if the thing works, then maybe. Right now its still in the CAD stage for an automatic adjuster, the manual adjuster should be something that someone can recreate.

not sure why you would need to move engine cradle two 3/4inch wrenches and about 15mins and all chains are good to go? am i doing it wrong
    1996 MAX IV ,KUBOTA DIESEL
    MAX II 30HP Bandolero

+ Reply to Thread