What engine for a Terra Jet?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What engine for a Terra Jet?

What engine for a Terra Jet?

Hi guys,
    Obviously I am totally new here.
    I just went to see a Terra Jet I’m thinking of buying. It’s a VA-6. In very good shape. No real issues except it needs a couple new tires.

It has an old Tecumseh engine in it.

I am looking for help with what I could swap it out for.
    What should I look at finding?

I also noticed that it didn’t like staring cold.
    Are the Tecomseh motors known for that?

AE09477A-2D35-4367-A461-6329C67FCFF9.jpg

Tecumsehs require choke often even when warm. A good carb cleaning and adjustment may help but parts are scarce for those carbs so be careful.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

That is good to know.
    I’m used to farm tractors and garden tractors.
    Attached Images

They also used to run 400 twin cylinder JLO engines we had two of them. they were good machines but finicky.

Are there any newer engines that would fit and provide good power (torque)?
    I am looking at this as a possible work machine in the bush. Helping me to clear trails and move logs, and tow a trailer.

The fit is a major concern given how the original engines fit down in the steel tub. It doesn’t look all that easy to modify for a different engine.

Fit wise I can't say (you can make anything fit if you don't mind some custom brackets.) Terra Jets later came with 4 stroke single cylinder engines. You can swap to a 4 stroke yourself if you want, will need a new CVT clutch that engages at lower RPM. Which will be most any you find today. Engine wise you can go with a 420 Predator from Harbor fart. But expect limited reliability long term (I've killed 2) Or a Nice Honda 390 both about 14hp
    If you want a really nice engine a B&S V-twin 16-22 depending on model like vanguards etc are really the cat's meow. Epic torque power, quite, reliable. Or if you want unkillable low speed power and unmatched reliability a 10Hp Yanmar Diesel is a good choice.

+ Reply to Thread