Maximus (Custom Max II Build)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Maximus (Custom Max II Build)

Maximus (Custom Max II Build)

I just completed "Maximus". I took an older stock Max II and modified everything except the headlights and dash. This was a "proof of concept" that I wanted to try some different ideas on. I know it's not for everyone but I had fun doing it.

Here is a brief summary of the mods:

1. Re-designed the frame for stock Argo component ie: axles, bearings, seals
    2. Beefed up frame.
    3. Re-located battery to front
    4. Eliminated Jack Shaft.
    5. Re-built T-20, up sized input shaft from 7/8" to 1" dia., went to 12 tooth
    #60 sprockets.
    6. Re-located T-20 to where battery was, centered it, and raised it 2"
    7. Installed 31 hp. Vanguard
    8. Installed full size rear disc brakes.
    9. Installed full width suspension bench seat.
    10.Installed new front diamond plate floor.
    11.Re-designed chain tensioners
    12.Installed dual prop system, with shroud
    13.Installed 30" Mud-Lites (30x12x12)
    14.Installed off-set 18" center tires.
    15.New ROP
    16.Re-designed laterals and shift lever on T-20 and shift linkage
    17.Re-worked tub clearances for 30" tires.
    18.All chain and sprocket #60 HD

If you are interested any any of these mods or hi-res pics PM or email me. I will post some of them in the gallery under "Maximus"

Ok, you know you have to post pics ASAP! So many mods that are very interesting from the suspension seat to the room for oversized tires to the 31hp motor. I look forward to seeing them all.

Edit: I see you are already posting pictures in the gallery. Have you had it in the water yet?
    Last edited by Mike; 09-13-2008 at 11:43 PM.

Wow, You did a great job building that. I am curious about how well the props work in the water?

More Pics In Gallery

Mike/Larry: Thanks for the comments, Mike, I just posted a few more pics. Larry I don't know what the top speed is yet, I only had it in the water a few times. But it does have quite a kick to it. I'm working out a few bugs with the chain tensioners right now and then I will continue testing it. I did a short full throttle blast on land, it is pretty scary! With that overdrive top end on the CVT and those 30" inchers it really moves. The design top speed is 56.17 mph., I don't know if it will pull it, and also I don't know if I have the "knockers" to do it.

Bw6 ,

The words Wow , Awesome , Outstanding came to mind when I saw the pictures of Maximus that you posted in the Gallery .

Thx Again

Mudbug, thanks for the kind words, just trying a few things to help move our excellent sport forward, maybe somone else can build on these ideas as well.

Bw6 ,

I can,t wait to see a video of Maximus in action with those BIG 30 inch mudlite tires churning through the mud . I,m also curious as to how well the smaller middle wheel will work out when you try to drive over a large log , or over the top of an incline with a flat top ?
    Last edited by mudbug3; 09-14-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Bw6,
    Awsome remake. You must have a ton of hours in this rebuild. I espescially like the propeller setup using angle gear drives. I was just thinking about this sort of setup the other day and presto some one has done it. One thing i am curious about regarding the prop system. Did you ever consider a right and left hand prop arrangement? It appears to me that both of your props rotate the same way. I am interested also in how this performs. Again great job!!
    Bob

Reells,
    Very observant, Yes they are both RH props, I tried to get a L/R but no one made a left-hand for the pitch I wanted. Normally 2 RH props will cause it to roll a bit to the right, but because of the displacement of the tires it will dampen it out. Also by shifting my weight a little more to the left it shouldn't be a problem.

I never counted the hours but I worked fairly continuously for 4 months, at about 6-8 hours/day.

Again thanks for your interest and kind comments.

Wow that's impressive. I love the dual prop system.

+ Reply to Thread