Limits of operation for 6x6, 8x8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Limits of operation for 6x6, 8x8

Limits of operation for 6x6, 8x8

I want to get an ATV / 4WD that will climb a rocky treed slope of up to 40 degrees.
    I don't have anything yet, I sold my Jeep because I didn't want to risk it rolling over on the hill. I figured if the jeep was a solid block of wood it would tip at 55 degrees front-rear or 35 degrees left-right. My hill being 40 degrees on the topo map, I thought it too risky since if it lot traction on one side it could turn and roll over left-right even when standing still.
    So, for a typical 6x6 or 8x8, what are the rollover limits?
    Can a 6x6 climb a long 40 degree slope?
    Also, what is the ground clearance?
    Can a 6x6 plow snow or gravel?
    How about an 8x8?

A 40 degree incline is pretty darn steep , if you hit the slightest hump going up you may go over backwards. Not sure i would want to do it in my max.I think your asking for trouble, but thats just my opinion.

Maybe winched up on a good set of tracks maybe... That's a steep call for any machine out there not winched period.

I have a 5K lb winch I bought in case my van gets stuck at the road's edge, yet to be tested.

Yes, 40 degrees is steep, but I think it's the maximum on the path I would try. I slipped and fell on my backside going down a steeper slope on foot. Besides some loose rock there is a lot of fallen wood, deer poop, and leaves. I saw an article where a Corvette pulled 1 G on the skid pad, equivalent to a 45 degree slope (with smooth pavement and sticky tires). I know it won't be easy but I'd like to do better than having to build a cog railroad up the hill.

I took a hint from the home page and found the Mudd-Ox operator's manual.
    on page 5 of 21 it says "Do not operate the Mudd-Ox on angles greater than 25 degrees."
    In a chart it says
    Approach and departure angles 25 (degrees) Maximum
    Ground Clearance 13" at center of vehicle, 7" at outer edge of vehicle
    Weight 1700 lbs (and up)

There's a note about entering water at less than 25 degrees to prevent scooping water into the tub, hardly a necessary note if you never exceed 25 degrees at any time.

It also says to put on a helmet on land and take it off on water. I can't recall seeing that in videos yet

I'll be reading more and I would really expect to take on a fixer-upper rather than a new vehicle that is more mud flat oriented that rocky slope oriented. I'm new to it all so almost every word tells me something I didn't know.

Sorry if this is a double post, I keep getting logged out while typing.

As the others have said, that is an awfully steep grade and not safe trying to go up it in any vehicle. For reference, the US Army doesn't require its combat vehicles to go up anything steeper than a 60 percent slope, which is about 31 degrees, and that is very steep too. Take our advice and don't try to drive up that steep of a slope, at least not before you make us the beneficiaries of your life insurance policy.

And 8x8's typically will do better than a 6x6 or 4x4.
    Acta non verba

I've barely been able to squeak by 70% grades in ideal ground conditions and empty. The only small rig I can think of that could safely handle 40° loaded would probably be a thiokol imp, but i don't think they float very well.

no one has remarked that it is due to lack of ... i guess if there is power and traction, i wonder if some kind of strong, wide '' wheelie bar '' attached correctly and sticking out back far enough would work ? it would probably need to have coil springs to give some up and down travel for the terrain.. but limited travel to keep the nose down. just a thought as a designer . johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    no one has remarked that it is due to lack of...
    I will now.

Stick Time!

While many of us have been up some stupid angles with large pucker factors we perhaps should not of been on, most of those would never lead a newbie even to the base of that unless there was a bypass.
    A roll cage and seat belts urged for any attempt of that.
    We don't need to be on any statistics charts.

My strong opinion.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

So the terminology is that a 70% grade is 7 feet up for 10 feet forward? And that would be the limit (estimated) by wisdom and experience?
    I'll do the math and check the path up the hill.
    How about utility such as plowing?
    Is that a practical thought with a 6x6 or 8x8?
    I have to admit at this point that a 6x6 is better for things off the hill because of size.
    How much better is an 8x8 compared to a good 6x6?
    Edit: 70% is 35 degrees, and I just saw this old brochure via the home page
    http://www.6x6world.com/images/broch...6x6-aatv-1.jpg
    It says it climbs 100% / 45° if I read it right.
    I'm guessing experience tells you they didn't write it right?
    Last edited by Tour1; 08-31-2018 at 03:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread