Cat-a-gator VS. Max IV

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cat-a-gator VS. Max IV

Cat-a-gator VS. Max IV

I am curious how a clean Catagator 23hp, which has six tires and tracks stacks up against my late nineteen nineties 20hp Max IV with 26 inch tires, roll cage, winch, etc.

What are the pros and cons? I don't know much about the cat-a-gator.
    I ride a brown '96 Max 4 (skid plate, roll cage, 26" Rawhides, 20hp, custom winch and tow plates) with a 2K front winch and a 4K come-along for back up. I pack 20'tow-strap, 2 chains and 2 hooks,a jeep jack, and a big block of PT wood. Also an axe and chainsaw. And mechanic tools. I have a tote with a tarp and bungees. Spare parts. Two rifles. Hey, arent I supposed to be able to have three passengers?

The Max IV has a higher ground clearance and it is quite a bit lighter. With that being said I'm going to say that it has the advantage because it exerts less PSI on the terrain and won't sink down as bad as the Catagator without the tracks. Add tracks in the equation and things become a little different. I really can't say for sure, but maybe 6x6World member Joe M can chime in because he owns a Catagator. I believe these two machines are in different categories......the Max IV is more of a recreation AATV, while the Catagator is more for industrial use. Also, parts for the Max are going to much easier to find and less expensive.
    Last edited by jpswift1; 07-25-2009 at 11:33 AM.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

The Catagator without the tracks is not good in muddy conditions, and was produced primarily for Industrial applications. Parts can be found at any Farm Equipment Company. The clutch setup was used in older farm Equipment drive systems. Not really much to them.

Here's a photo of the Clutch Setup:

It doesn't sound like a catagator will compare for the kind of things I do in the Max/ Or well, it looked so cool with the tracks and enclosed cab. Thanks for the advice, guys!
    I ride a brown '96 Max 4 (skid plate, roll cage, 26" Rawhides, 20hp, custom winch and tow plates) with a 2K front winch and a 4K come-along for back up. I pack 20'tow-strap, 2 chains and 2 hooks,a jeep jack, and a big block of PT wood. Also an axe and chainsaw. And mechanic tools. I have a tote with a tarp and bungees. Spare parts. Two rifles. Hey, arent I supposed to be able to have three passengers?

+ Reply to Thread