My new project Sierra T-Boss

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My new project Sierra T-Boss

The more I look at this thing I keep wondering if the whole chassis/running gear wasn't swapped from another machine...is that possible?
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

I think its a custom.
    Use the clutch that is on the kawi engine. If the drivetrain setup works i would leave it as it is.

I plan on it....I don't think I could do any better...lol. I did start on getting the Kawi started...got spark on one cylinder, not the other so I gotta work on that....the engine is also set up for electric starter option and has a Makuni carb on it, which is really cool. The cooling fan has a few blades missing...but I got 2 others to scavenge parts from! I hope to have it fired up by tomorrow, once I get the machine torn down it should come together nicely and have plenty of power, all the axles and bearings feel tight, I'm gonna pick up a plastic welder from Harbor Freight to repair a few defects in the body (being poly that should be easy)....the biggest expense is gonna be tires at $65 a piece.
    A person who says "anything is possible" obviously has never tried to staple jello to a tree....

Custom build with T-20 trans questions

Here is a link to a vid of the way the T-20 is set up in my Trail Boss (the vid is kinda choppy, I don't know why)...both fixed sides of the clutches are on the same side and I'm just wondering if anybody has seen anything set up to run this way...

Sierra Trail Boss :: seirraTBvid1.mp4 video by Bigsalpics - Photobucket

Thanks...big Sal

I dont like the slop and I am confused about the double 40 chain. The t 20 has 50 chain from both sides so whats the extra stuff on the crazy long input shaft. Btw, I believe the po put the extension on so he could sit to the side and still have the engine offset the weight, but if you would center both and align them correctly you could bend your sticks off to the side and be better built and more stable.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

IMG_1868.jpgIMG_0997.jpgThe previous owner was using the slop in the shaft @ the secondary clutch to allow the clutch to move sideways helping to allign the belt. Not a good design. You have plenty of room there to return to a standard clutch setup. BTW: The normal secondary clutch is 9" dia.
    Sorry I didn't have a better picture to show the typical motor behind trans setup.
    The second picture shows the typical way a comet clutch is bolted to the t-20.

Belt alignment is critical here....any misalignment means inefficient heat and wear at best.

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    I dont like the slop and I am confused about the double 40 chain
    Like buggyman said, I think the PO had the side to side play figured in to center the belt...I could take it off and reverse it to put the fixed side of the clutch on the proper side and "fix" it to the shaft (ie weld....lol) so it doesn't move, only the spring side would move at that point....as far as the double 40 chain, it was used as a coupler for the input shaft extention to the trans...everything was designed to be able to be serviced or replaced...I'm curious to see if it actually works the way it sits..it looks funky...but if it works why not!!

IMG_1043.jpg
    I just happen to know where you could get the propper clutch......My bigfoot needed extra clearance so I couldn't use the comet. The clutches are directional, you can't just turn them around. Plus, when the belt moves up the primary clutch it moves closer to the motor....So, when it moves down the secondary, it needs to move closer to the trans to keep it in alignment. You should buy a proper clutch.

I gotcha....wouldn't that be the point of it sliding on the shaft that it would always "center" itself to the front clutch? I'm all new to the whole CVT thing, so I'll be asking a bunch of stupid questions...lol.... BTW the secondary is 7.5 inches...

The comet secondaries are just over 9", and the new invance is approx 10" CV Tech CV TECH INVANCE PULLEY from Used Snowmobile Parts, Mikey's General Sales

+ Reply to Thread