pengor penguin

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: pengor penguin

There were several micro-cars that were popular during the 1960's. This had the added dimension of being amphibious. I wish we had cool options in cars like this today. Nice video. Thanks for posting.

The Penguin brings back distant memories. As a young boy I had a short demo ride in one when new. They were built in Ontario, Canada. The factory moved once during their existence either from or to Toronto,forget which. The idea of a little car that could swim or don skis on the front wheels and go in the snow was quite intriguing. Indeed they were only two wheel drive so by our mudding standards they were quite limited. The two stroke engine reverse was quite neat. It had a British two stroke Villiers apx. 180 cc engine. They even gave one to Queen Elizabeth when touring the factory. She probably still has it and from what I have read about her she has probably had a blast in private with it too. LOL. I particularly remember the peculiar handle bars that moved left or right to steer with super soft comfortable grips. The front tires weren't very big but the rear drive wheels had quite large real paddle wheels. Body style quite reminiscient of the slightly earlier Jiger. I think related also was the "Beaver", looked very similar except I believe it only had one front wheel like a trike. LOL.

Does anybody have an idea what it might be worth? I'm not necessarily looking to sell mine, I've just been curious. I also have fully restored the trailer for it and have every single book and piece of original paper work to go with it. I have a set of rims, an extra exhaust pipe and an extra set of front castors.

Thanks,

Tom

Unfortunately Tom, there is no real way to tell value on these "pieces of history". They have value for being "unique" and "antique", but far less value for being an AATV.
    Many of these old machines should be treated as "museum pieces" and gently cared for. Take it to parades and exhibitions etc., and keep it out of the abusive conditions that could destroy it.

But to answer your question: It is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. And there are not too many collectors who don't want to drive what they are collecting. Maybe MattO's museum is the best place for it?

I agree with Buggyman. The value on your machine is very subjective. I can't remember seeing a nice clean penguin for sale ever to even compare it against. For a machine like yours, ebay may be the only way to really asses its value. Most members on here like to drive their vintage machines, and a penguin would not make it on any trail ride I have been on, nor should it be on the the trails we ride. I would probably jus get ruined.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I dont think the penguin was designed to run in mud holes or swamps
    but for a cottage road and quick dip in calm water it would be pretty cool. It seems fast on the road.

actually it is a 2x4 I have one

Here is a video giving a quick comparison of the Penguin and Beaver. The Beaver was designed and built using parts that were purchased at the Bankruptcy Sale after Pengor, the company that designed the Penguin,closed its doors after building 802 machines. The Penguin was built from 1963 to 1964, I have many newspaper articles and information received with machines I have purchased which I base my information on. The Beaver I do not have as much information on, I think they were made from about 1967 to about 1972, but I am not sure. I do not have any production figures for the Beaver.
    https://youtu.be/wUBn_OY3gec
    Last edited by Kevin Percy; 09-21-2017 at 10:40 PM.

I realize this is an older post, but more information on the Penguin and Beaver can be found on my page "Kevin's Penguin and Beaver Page" https://sites.google.com/site/pageke...andbeaverpage/.
    Attached Images

One Penguin of each Colour and Model.

Here is a short video of four Penguins running. They are unrestored and show wear and some obvious damage, repairs and modifications made by previous owners, but they run and drive.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mudbLSD77YM
    These are examples of each colour and model produced. The blue and green ones are 1963 "A" models made in Ottawa, the red one is a 1963 "B" model made in Ottawa, and the yellow one is a 1964 "D" model, made in Carleton Place.
    I am planning on displaying these machines at a car show in Carleton Place in June, 2018, not far from where some of them were made.

+ Reply to Thread