LTV KID 8x8 Diesel Project - Ground Zero, Parts

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LTV KID 8x8 Diesel Project - Ground Zero, Parts

LTV KID 8x8 Diesel Project - Ground Zero, Parts

Hello all,

My father has a restored gas KID he rebuilt in the 80's. Naturally, I wanted one. Then I found one. But in rougher condition than his was in.

I purchased a KID project about 2005 or 2006, have had it in dry storage. Recently we built a proper shop. So I brought the project home. And evaluated it. It's a project!

This includes a mostly complete diesel KID, that has had water in the tub. All bearings and chain are shot. Has windshield, wiper, canopy and remote hydraulics in front and rear. No PTO. No 3 point. A spare KID without a powertrain. 3 sets of tracks (sold 1 for what I paid for everything). Set of 8 aluminum wheel spacers (for tracks)?

I think the 1st step is to remove the body. 2nd step pull the powertrain. 3rd step buy some Irish Whiskey... 4th power wash EVERYTHING! Then get out the rosebud and see what happens.

The GOOD:

Over the years I have bought all axle bearings, seals, idler sprockets and chains. $$$$

The Perkins diesel engine looks to be 100% intact and original, unmolested. Oil is at the full mark!

Downloaded the manuals from this site, for Wisconsin Gas. Anyone have the Perkins Diesel manual?

I did not personally hear it, but guy we bought it from said, he hooked up fuel to engine and jumped the solenoid. And it fired off, so he shut it down due to old fluids in unknown states. We knew him and believed him. He was actually trying to get it rebuilt to sell it, but got overwhelmed by the amount of work required.

The BAD:

The axles in general are RUSTY! May be easier to just cut them out and press the sprockets off. Had to cut all the chains to even load it. Haven't tried to remove any yet, assuming a pull plate and slide hammer is the way to go? Anyone have luck with a Porta-Power? Still have to go get the spare KID, may be easier to start pulling those axles, the body is already off. It has been outside for a decade.

Some body work required. Has some rust holes in areas. So far tub seems solid.

Missing some parts. Floor pan, some chain covers, and some chain tensioners. I don't know what exactly I'm missing until I go get the remaining parts I have. $$$$

Every tire and wheel is shot. Wheels rusted out, tires dry rotted... $$$$

PARTS:

With all this said, I know Shoson and JLM Machine are no longer. JLM seemed to be picking up business and making some parts after buying out Shoson's then fell off the map. Their email doesn't work anymore.

What happened there?

Did someone else buy the parts?

Is there another source?

Sorry for the long rant. Just feeling out who is here that is familiar with LTV KID 8x8.

CT
    Last edited by nsula_country; 10-24-2017 at 12:29 PM.

Bump, bump...

72 views and no replies?

Are there any active forum members that have a KID(s) or past experience with them?

Thank you,

CT

There are a few members that have KIDs. If you are looking for specific parts, try starting a thread in the wanted section of the forum and someone may have what you are looking for. As with many of our machines you can usually source a lot of the parts locally like bearings, chain, sprockets, etc.

Thank you Mike for a response. When I find parts needed, I'll make a fresh post in the WANTED.

I created this post for information and as I start on the project, will update and include pictures.

I will start work on this machine after hunting season is over. That is when I will know IF I need any missing, special parts.

Thanks again, Happy Wheeling!

CT

I have a few spare parts lying around from a parts machine.
    8x8 twice as good as 4x4

I have a diesel Kidd took me a few years to get going .

Hi, How are you doing with your kid project ?? I have manuals I could copy if your still looking . Gus

+ Reply to Thread