How do you keep your tires seated on the bead?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do you keep your tires seated on the bead?

How do you keep your tires seated on the bead?

Looking for options for keeping the tire bead seated.

I'm about to purchase tires for my Hustler, and short of getting a set of rims from Richards, I'm looking for the different options of keeping the bead seated. I'll do Tubes if I have to, but I'm thinking that if it goes flat, then spins the rim inside the tire, that I'll be doing that tube again.

If bead seating is not really an issue, let me know'

Thanks

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Bead seating is very important, considering that these machines run a low tire pressure. The original Rawhides that were on my Hustler had lettering on the sidewall that said something to the effect of "mount on beadlock rims" something like that. Try Matt O's beadlock rims, I have 25" Mudbugs on a set of them and have tested them at 0psi for a 2hr ride and they held. The same ride would sometimes pop the new RawhideIII's loose at 2.5 to 3psi on the stock rims.

If you're thinking about Richard's wheels advertised as "beadlock" I'd find someone who has them and can confirm they are so. Several years ago a friend bought one for a maxII as a spare, and it wouldn't hold a bead like his factory max k locks did.

Bead seating is crucial. One of the worst problems to encounter is having the tire debead from the wheel, especially when you are in the swamp or mud hole. To prevent this you need beadlock rims. Unfortunately, many of the older six wheelers did not have these. They are available from several sources. Be prepared to spend from $60-$100+ per wheel, depending on the size you select. I have beadlock wheels on both my machines and have not had these problems.
    Years ago before I had beadlocks, I tried everything, from tubes, to sealants to adhere the tire to the wheel. Usually these failed at the worst possible time.
    Do yourself a favor, spend the money to get the beadlocks, it will increase the fun factor of your machine dramatically.

I was just quoted 80 ea from Richards Relics for tires on beadloc rims 21x11x8 Rawhide clones for full set , I need 50 of them , anyone know of a better price ??
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

50??? tires and rims for 80ea. seems like a good price to me

I bought some rims from Richard a few years ago. They were more like the old style bead-lock rims better than golf cart rims but not nearly as good as the K-lock rims from Recreatives. I had a leaking bead on on of my Hustler tires. I dismounted it and painted the rim. Then I used black bead cement from NAPA let it dry and then put slime in the tire. I haven't had a problem since.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Exclamation Rims , tires

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood02 View Post
    I was just quoted 80 ea from Richards Relics for tires on beadloc rims 21x11x8 Rawhide clones for full set , I need 50 of them , anyone know of a better price ??
    you can get a better deal ANYWHERE but there..... even kmart, walmart , tractor supply, etc

+ Reply to Thread