Best engine for snow and other questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best engine for snow and other questions

Best engine for snow and other questions

I'm one of the new folks that have a question for you all. Well, several to be exact. I've been looking at buying an ATV but once I saw these AATVs I knew I had to have it. I live in Minnesota and I hate cold and snow (still can't get a job in TN yet). I figured a tracked atv would be a way to change all of that.

I'd like to use one of these vehicles for some duck hunting, deer hunting, general horseplay, and for plowing snow. Believe it or not, I really want to just plow the neighbors driveways for them because I live in the cities, so I figure this way I could use it a lot and perhaps earn some extra cash.

Here is my question: am I right to be looking at an 8x8 instead of a 6x6 for doing what I want to do?

Another one is for plowing snow, what engine size is sufficient? I'll likely have to buy an older argo 8x8 because of my goal for spending, but I want to make sure I can do what I want to do.

If you are going to go with an argo I would go with an 8x8 although a 6x6 would be a lot easier to maneuver in people's drive ways. I would go with a Max for a 6x6 though. I think when it comes to Argos they come with different gear ratios in the transmissions and that's probably more important than what size engine. I'm sure someone with more experience than me can chime in and give you some better advice. When buying a older machine the cost of new parts can add up real fast. Just my 2 cents.

Well when I say older I mean not made within the last few years. I'd still like some from the 2000s. I'm willing to put some good money into it, but I'm a deal hound so I'll wait till the right one comes along

Quote Originally Posted by Breadstain View Post
    Well when I say older I mean not made within the last few years. I'd still like some from the 2000s. I'm willing to put some good money into it, but I'm a deal hound so I'll wait till the right one comes along
    I would look for a good Conquest 8x8. If you are gong to be using it to plow and with tracks I would make sure it has the low or "GU" stamped tranny. These are liquid cooled, heavy duty workhorses and there are some good deals out there on them. I just saw one sell locally (to me) a 2002 with 200 hrs with super tracks, winch, and full top for $4000. I have a 2004 that was basically brand new (20 hrs) I picked up almost 3 years ago with every option possible including a $3000 hardtop for $9000.

I plow with a Max IV. We don't get a lot of snow here, but I find the T-20 a real pain to shift fwd/rev when plowing. The Argo transmissions do shift much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    . I just saw one sell locally (to me) a 2002 with 200 hrs with super tracks, winch, and full top for $4000. I have a 2004 that was basically brand new (20 hrs) I picked up almost 3 years ago with every option possible including a $3000 hardtop for $9000.
    If I could find something like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

So I'm gathering transmission type weighs as much as engine for plowing?

Quote Originally Posted by Breadstain View Post
    If I could find something like that I would do it in a heartbeat.

So I'm gathering transmission type weighs as much as engine for plowing?
    I would say yes. My machine tops out at 16 mph so you will loose at 4-5 mph off your top end vs a high geared tranny. There is a medium, "MU" tranny too, that might work for you. I use mine at high altitude 9,000-10,000+ ASL and I need all the grunt I can get. If you are pushing heavy snow and running tracks a lot I would get the GU. JMO

Have you considered a used Mudd-Ox? They don't have a transmission to shift so plowing snow is a snap, you just pull back on the sticks to go in reverse. You can check them out on youtube or at the website muddox.net. If you can't find a used one locally you can contact Matt at the website and he can steer you to some since he takes them as trade ins on new ones. Happy hunting.

I had considered a mudd ox but they seem kind of rare so I figured Argo would be my best chance. But I think I may have found a mudd ox to look at to see if I like it.

I would take a closer looks t maxes for plowing. The T-20 can be set up to counter rotate, aka, one side of wheels to forward and the other to in reverse, like a bob cat. That may be worth it to be able to get into some really tight places!
    Alaska floating atvs group on face book. Fixing help and trail rides!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alaska.AATVs/

85ish Argo 8x8 geo metro engine, hdi axles and 3 bearings per axle.

78 ford bronco... 460 lockers.... "Alaskan tow vehicle"

ATV = Alaska Terain Vehicle

+ Reply to Thread