Sperry Rand Wedge Project Help

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sperry Rand Wedge Project Help

Sperry Rand Wedge Project Help

Got my Wedge project home and signed up for the site. Sticky was good enough to send some transmission advice. After removing the tranny and opening it up, all looks well. No shavings or missing teeth! So basically I am looking for any advice/direction anyone can provide. I need to swap out the old flotation tires for something modern and need to find an engine. All else looks complete. I'm sure I will be rebuilding clutches and replacing cables and so on. I would greatly appreciate anything you can do to point me in the proper direction. It also has a Berkley Jet Pump that looks complete but haven't opened it up. Thanks in advance. Looking forward to consulting with this group.
    Attached Images

Check the dog clutch inside the transmission. If the edges of the teeth show any wear, it will pop out of gear. The dog clutch selects forward and reverse. There's not much engagement to them.

Thanks liflod. In assume there is no replacement if it is badly worn?

Not readily available. Someone told me that some outboard boat engines use the same dog clutch, not sure what model, but they were around 20 HP or less. Mine is locked into forward gear. I drilled through an oil hole on the dog clutch and through the shaft so I could pin it into forward gear.

Quote Originally Posted by liflod View Post
    Not readily available. Someone told me that some outboard boat engines use the same dog clutch, not sure what model, but they were around 20 HP or less. Mine is locked into forward gear. I drilled through an oil hole on the dog clutch and through the shaft so I could pin it into forward gear.
    Sounds like it should be a racer!
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Do you have the Berkley Pump? If so, Does it still function with the trans locked in forward?

I don't have the pump.

If that have started to round the dogs off you can have a little milled off to give them a sharper edge to hold them in also. I did that yo mine when I had it.

Sounds like a good solution. I'm going to investigate the outboard possibility as well just in case. Did you machine it yourself or take it to a shop?

I have a mill but you can do it yourself wilt a good cut off air tool !

+ Reply to Thread