Popsicle sticks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Popsicle sticks

Popsicle sticks

I want to convert my t20 to the popsicle style so I can have better control. Does anyone have the pieces or measurements so I can make my own or buy some off someone? Thanks.

I think I might have some of the stuff you need. You'll obviously need two popsicle sticks, the 4 eye bolts and nuts that hold them snug, and you can either get the case halves with the pins in them, or just drill and press pins (that the popsicle sticks rotate on) into each case half.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

t-20.jpgYou can just add shoulder bolts to the existing "u" channels. I do this on every one I have, and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Attachment 10690You can just add shoulder bolts to the existing "u" channels. I do this on every one I have, and it works great.
    Not trying to hijack... Do you have to do anything special to add those shoulder bolts? I remember reading a post where whipper says something about spot facing the cases at 5 degrees or something. Just wondering.

The 2 plungers are at 4 1/2 degrees to the case half......
    Whipper is a machinist by trade, and has all the cool machines to play with, and I'm sure his t-20's are very precise.

I take a far more crude approach. It's fast, easy and does work well.
    First I drill the u channels in a drill press with a 1/8" bit. This hole will be at 90 degrees, the 4 1/2 degrees only applies to the case half. The hole needs to be centered between the plunger bolt holes and spaced off the back allowing enough room to be enlarged to 3/8" later.
    Then bolt the u channel to 2 plungers and place on case half. The bolts to plungers are in a slotted hole, so be careful to center them, and make sure it's all aligned right.
    Next, I use an extra long drill bit in a cordless drill to put the pilot hole in the case. I put a washer behind the u channel to space it off the case and eliminate the possibility of binding and use the holes (previously drilled) through the u channel as the guide.
    Once the 1/8" pilot holes are drilled, the case halves' holes can be enlarged then tapped, and the U channels can be drilled to 3/8".
    The shoulder bolt is 3/8" dia. x 1 1/4" long shoulder and 5/16 thread.
    Attached Images

Awesome, thanks for the info... hate the 'clanking' of the u channels.

Drilling the holes in the channels first,then installing them and using them as the "jig" to get the holes in the cases in the correct location and at the proper angle is a great idea. Thanks Jim!

Joe.

an alternate solution that eliminates about 80% of the slop in the linkage. You can add the piviot pins to make it even better than the origional popsicle sticks. Oll the items are from Mc Master Carr.

Acta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by jerseybigfoot View Post
    an alternate solution that eliminates about 80% of the slop in the linkage. You can add the piviot pins to make it even better than the origional popsicle sticks. Oll the items are from Mc Master Carr.

Smart guy. I'd listen to him.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

How does removing the slop in the linkages help? I've got mine all apart so if I'm going to improve on the original linkages, now is the time but what will it do for me other than give me the pleasure of having a well made mechanical system?

+ Reply to Thread