Painting your 6x6 frame

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting your 6x6 frame

Painting your 6x6 frame

I was just curious what kind of paint you guys use when you repaint your frames on your 6x6 restoration projects? I thought that gloss black would be the best way to go since Max frames come painted this way from the factory, and the fact that with gloss black the dirt and grease would be less likely to stick to it. I thought if flat or semi gloss black was used, debris would be more likely to stick to the frame. I would appreciate you all sharing some of your ideas. Thanks.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I am about to yank mine out and paint it gloss black while I have everything apart. I will just use a brush on Rustoleum. I used this on my Jeep frame and it looks great and hasn't chipped off. I don't think the finish really matters though when it comes to dirt and grime.

I've used the high-gloss and the semi-flat paints for frames and I like the looks of the semi-flat better, but I think it is somewhat harder to keep clean. I always use spray paints, but I may try the brush-on if you've had luck with it, Mike. It's lots cheaper, I'm sure.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don, I really do like the brush on. Plus it leaves a thicker coat with just one application.

Have any of you tried POR 15? I know a lot of people use that on 4x4 axles and swear that it doesn't chip. I don't think that's much of a problem with the frames on our machines though since they are protected?

I'd sand blast it, apply a primer with a spray gun and then a high gloss paint with a spray gun. Thicker is not necessarily better, since you want the bond to the metal and not a "cover" over the metal (example of bad for thick paint, is when you do get a crack or chip.. when you go to clean if with a high pressure washer, the water has more grab at the chip and peels away the thicker paint).

Prep is everything in painting.. the metal has to be clean (degreaser) and the primer should be sanded with a ~400 grit (just a quick light sand over everything making sure you don't go to the metal). The paint coat can be ugly or nice.. doesn't really matter. You can get away with paint bombing, but personally I'd rather use a gun (you can get em cheap >$50).

Cheers

Beeman

Would a Rhino coating work good? That stuff is very hard to chip or scrape off.

Paint

Hi All,
    I just got a roll bar from Mike (was also how I became introduced to the forum, Thanks Again!) and it was in great shape with a little rust. After sanding it down, I used a Rustolieum flat black rust converting/bonding paint. The instructions indicate that it is good as a primer on rusted surfaces. I like the look of it and used it as the finish coat as well.

Since finishing it, it has been kicked around and left in a very moist area without any rust developing, kind of testing the finish. I will be installing it soon, I promise Mike. I even sprayed the inside of the roll bar. It may outlast the T-20!

The paint applies and covers well, it can be easily touched up and it bonds to rust. It seems that this would be a good finish choise for a frame as well. I currently have my frame coated in motorcycle chain lube that has a hard waxy finish that does not attract dirt/dust/mud and displaces water.

Just checking in!
    Mario

I like powder coating myself, the best part is dropping it off and just waiting for a phone call. The've got lots of great colors now. there newest one is called almost chrome,thats what I'm going to paint the trailing arms,for my springer Attex. I'll be droping them off monday.

I'm going with Imron.

Imron is some tuff stuff. I'd like to powder coat, but you can't touch it up. A little tip from my dirt bike days is to paint it WHITE. I know what your thinkin, but if you have a crack in the frame, weld, etc., when you clean you WILL see it very easy. The dirt and oil will settle there.
    Attex, there is no substitute

I recently saw a Jeep frame painted with Rustoleum brush on hammer tone paint. It looked fantastic and the owner said it had stood up to everything. I could not believe that the hammer tone look could be brushed on, but I tried some and it comes out great. Seems to create a thick clear coat on top of the color. Don't know how its done but it works. Its not perfectly smooth like a normal color finish would be, so it may hold a little more grease and such.
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread