Help with muffler heat

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with muffler heat

Help with muffler heat

I’ve transplanted this Kohler CH22 into my Max II and I absolutely love the new power, but I am in need of a little help from you guys. I have removed the old muffler that exited out the side of the lower tub with the plans of adding larger tires in the future. The muffler that is pictured is what came with the motor and I really like how quiet it is the downfall is this thing gets really hot. I wished the tail pipe exited to the rear, but I’m trying to make do with what I currently have. I sure could use any suggestions on how I could keep the heat down. You can see that I’ve added some header wrap but that is still not enough. I thought some Argos had a similar setup but how do they keep the heat from melting the plastic?
    Attached Images

I think your best bet is build a metal shroud that collects the air off the engine, encloses the muffler, and directs the engine and exhaust heat out of the body. Thats what argo does. I guess your max doesn't have a large body opening like an argo.. so my idea stops there. Otherwise, you can do more with insulating the muffler and making the heat exit the tailpipe. A custom fit insulating muffler cover/blanket. I'm guessing fiberglass mat or whatever material they use in the header wrap.

Maybe richen the mixture up a bit if you can, that will lower exhaust temps.

Argo also uses a duct on the incoming engine air to ensure it's 'cold'.

But then max's come with a 23 kohler anyway and seem ok, maybe look at one of those for ideas.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

Just to add a little to what Roger has already mentioned, here is a picture of the cold air intake and exhaust heat shielding on my max II with a Briggs motor:

Their cold air intake uses the three vents on the passenger side of the max to suck in fresh air. Then the exhaust is surrounded by heat shielding top and bottom (the upper heat shielding is attached to the upper body) to force the hot air out through the driver's side vents in the body. Perhaps that will put a picture to Roger's words.

Does anyone know if the Kohler powered Max comes with a fresh air intake?

Also, what year is your Max? Do you have the newer style body with the raised rear lid or is it the older style with the engine cover that is held on with the rubber latches? If it is the newer style you can get the stock heat shielding to help you out.

Thanks Mike, Pictures always helps. I have an older Max that slants down right above the exhaust. It originaly had what I like to call a "top hat" that covered only the valve cover of the Tecumseh. I had to cut the top in order to make room for the Kohler, and I'm not oppossed to cuting more, as long as I can get the engine cover that you have metioned to cover my cuts. I'll study on it a little more tonight. I might also be able to modify the current production shielding and cold intake to fit my application.

do you guys recommend stuffing fiberglass insulation around the muffler.

yes you can get the air duct for a kohler from ri but it wont fit the older upper body that drops down!!!!!! another idea is an electric fan mounted in the engine cover it involves cutting a hole in the cover but it works great on my kohler max 2!
    they dont call me mad because im angry!!!!! im just a little crazy thats all!!!!

+ Reply to Thread