Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Custom Steel Chassis Hustler

Anybody out there currently working on a custom chassis and suspension setup. I have one designed in 3D and now working on construction drawings and pricing. My Hustler body is in not so good shape - top half has cracking. Drive train is in good shape with Kohler 16. Since I am going to 14ga steel chassis going to instal 34hp Kohler.

Cadman
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike; 12-22-2012 at 06:44 PM. Reason: moved thread from general discussion to other aatv forum

I am looking for feedback from anyone who has built an aluminum or steel chassis for a Hustler. I have currently designed one in 14ga steel and expect to run a diesel or large Kohler to push it. I also designed a simple springer system that would likely work for a plastic tub as well.

My main concern is weight as a steel chassis puts it up there in the Polaris weight category. I did not design this to be a floater but a utilitarian rig. With the extra weight what type of performance hit in the field would I see?

Will post pics of springer setup if anyone is interested. I also have construction drawings as well.

Cadman
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike; 12-22-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: merged two threads on the same topic

There are several builds on this site that are completely custom and some that are springers (mainly from whipper-ag). Look around the forums some and you will see them. These are the first few that popped into my mind and there are more:

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...-doo-pump.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/max-a...-springer.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/other...ettenkrad.html
    Bushwacker II BWII Custom 6x6 - Amphibious ATV Pictures

With the 980 I think the additional height would give me room for my no cv springer design. About how tall is it from the center-line of the axle to the bottom of the fender?

I could finish a modified 3D design for a springer and the 980 tub if someone could give me a cross section drawing of the tub and fender area. Approx dims would be ok as my design is flexible, low cost, and simple. I will post some pics if there is interest.
    Last edited by Mike; 12-26-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: copied post from another thread to keep things in one place

Quote Originally Posted by shawngray66 View Post
    With the 980 I think the additional height would give me room for my no cv springer design.

Approx dims would be ok as my design is flexible, low cost, and simple. I will post some pics if there is interest.
    I'm going to take a guess and say your idea is a torsional trailing arm suspension? I always thought that would be a better springer design for an amphib, but I don't have the means to design one right now...

Could you please post up some pictures of the design as you have it right now?
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Stonewall,

Not torsional although not a bad idea. That might have advantages but the disadvantage would likely be the adjust ability unless you used a hybrid shock system.

This design uses one similar to that of the bugs without the cv. The bearing assembly is very simple holding block and uses an LM76 BullDog bearing that is designed for tough service (Minuteman glass epoxy). This eliminates a second a-arm set and the shock becomes the upper support. In addition, the bearing accommodates for the linear and rotational forces.

This is not a long stroke system and designed to improve the ride.

cadman
    Attached Images
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Stoneman,

I will put some thought into the torsion idea. Off the top of my head I can think of a few ideas that would allow for use on any body.
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Ahhh, so your going for the "like a Macpherson but not exactly" suspension system. lol

Basically the same principle that the old school custom springers used:

I still think a trailing arm system would be the way to go, it would keep the vehicle much narrower and more maneuverable in tight spaces (woods in particular). With trailing arms you could even put the shocks inside the tub if you wanted...
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Quote Originally Posted by shawngray66 View Post
    Stoneman,

I will put some thought into the torsion idea. Off the top of my head I can think of a few ideas that would allow for use on any body.
    A simple way to do it would be to use bearing and chain boxes off the main axles, using the axles as the drive and pivot. I don't know how well that would hold up though...
    1974 Honda ATC 70

A trailing arm/chain box system would work well, especially since the chain box could be an oil bath.
    Trailing arms also give a better ride because they swing back slightly as you hit a bump, instead of just up.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

+ Reply to Thread