Wiring help, before I get in over my head

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wiring help, before I get in over my head

Wiring help, before I get in over my head

I am chin deep in wiring up my hustler 900 with a Kohler K440AX. When I got it, the motor was pulled out and wires where cut, plus they have be messed with over the years. You know that birds nest of wires I'm talking about. So my question is:

The 7 wires coming out of the engine. Where do they go?
    The colors are as follows: 1 yellow with a green and black stripe, 1 green with a black stripe, 1 yellow, 1 dark green. That I think are supposed to go to the recitfier that has three prongs labeled: AC BT AC in that order. And there are also, 2 black and 1 brown, I think the brown is the ground and the 2 black do something with the ignition, but I'm not sure.

If any of you guys have the setup, PLEASE PLEASE help me figure this out. I have found a post where another guy was have the same problem, but he figured out you can pull start it and nothing more was said.

BTW I bought a generic auto ignition from and parts house. The old one was gone. If that matters.

Duck,

I'm not sure if this will help but here is a picture of my wiring to the rectifier (I think) the wires on the left side are to the engine.

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Thanks, I'm not sure what I'm looking at on yours. My rectifier is finned and has three prongs on the bottom and attached to the coil housing on the motor.
    Attached Images

I have a K440-2AM in my Hustler. I'll take a look and if they have the same wiring I'll let you know where mine go.

Cheers

Is that a rectifier or could it possibly be a CDI box. Mine doesn't have that. Maybe one of the 2 stroke gurus can chime in.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

I don't have a kolher engine, but based on the picture micmac provided, the two yellow wires come from the magneto on the engine (AC) and would wire to the AC prongs on your rectifier/regulator (polarity doesn't matter... one yellow to one AC and the other yellow to other AC). The center pin will then be your regulated (DC) power line that will charge your battery and connect with the +12 of the system (this is the orange wire in the picture that comes off the regulator and gets spliced into a red line behind the starter coil).

The white I'm thinking is the kill line (ground it to kill the engine - open to leave engine running)

The green line is grounded in the picture. They might be for some ignition timing or something. I'd try it out with grounding your two greens.

Unsure about the two black lines. See if micmac can find where his single one is going...

hmm.. having problems editing the above...

I'm thinking the white line in the pic is a kill line.. but don't know what the brown or black line is.

your 3 left over wires (2 black, one brown) I have no idea...

I forgot I have a PDF of a service manual that should cover your engine.

I forgot where I originally downloaded it. I'm uploading it to a site where you can download it from, but for some reason I can't access my email to get the link to download it from!

I couldn't figure out how to attach it here, if that's a possibility?

I also found this that may help.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...am-wiring.html

Thanks for all the input. I'll try out some of these helpful hints in the morning. I really could use any more info you guys have. I really don't want to fry anything, if you know what I mean.

edit
    Last edited by kgrant; 03-09-2009 at 05:59 PM.

+ Reply to Thread