quick & Easy Cab

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: quick & Easy Cab

quick & Easy Cab

I had a bunch of pvc pipe laying around and thought I'd mock up a cab to be built later out of steel tubing. It only took about an hour to cut and assemble the pieces. As I sat back looking at the way it sat and fit, it occurred to me that maybe all I need is the PVC. Just glue it together and get some hvy duty vinyl for the windows and a waterproof canvas for the top. I realize it isn't roll over protection and that it won't take rough use. Anyone else tried that for a light duty, weather protection cab?

Just a follow up on my prev. I have the cab together and it is covered by an inexpensive blue plastic tarp, with 4mil vinyl for windows. It's all held together with....that's right, duct tape! It shakes around a little on rough ground but it really works better than I expected. I took it out today with the temp at about 15 F and 20-30MPH winds. It felt pretty comfortable and has held together well so far. I think I will go ahead and buy the steel and make something more substantial though. But for a quick, easy and cheap cab, PVC, a little glue and duct tape works.
    TerryA
    Last edited by TerryA; 02-09-2010 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Follow up

A great idea!!!! These machines are hard tol roll. I would think the lighter the better. If I wanted to go playing in the rain and hit a pond or something I would want PVC on top of me so I wouldn't have to worry about being top heavy!

I am already heavy enough ;(
    Dezi Gebel
    2 Early 70's Argo's Will Merge To Make One!

Just an update on my PVC cab. It's still working well. I tied it down good and tight and that prevents the rattling and shaking. I've really appreciated the cab the past few days. We have had cold & rainy weather for a few days now & I use the Argo at least twice a day to take feed to the horses. It keeps me AND the hay dry. It's not the prettiest cab I've seen but I'll bet it's one of the least expensive cabs out there. If I paint it to match the Argo it will look like it belongs. I'll try to get that done & post a few pics for all to see.

I'm an electrician and if you know any electricians they'll tell you they hate running conduit, but they're good at it. I've been eyeing up some 1/2" emt planning on bending a nice oval loop that would sit perfectly all the way around on the body lip my 8x8, and make a cab structure, with angled cross members. all welded of course. gussets in the corners to make it rigid. I hope no one steals my idea and does it first! haha. but it would be light enough to pick up... but yea a canvas or tarp all over it... I'm still thinking about how to make doors. Lambo style doors would be easy. And either canvas or really thick plastic, for the sides and roof. plexiglass windows/windshield. done. if you want to get really cool, stretch fabric over the structure and resin it!

I looked at elct.. conduit the other day at the H/W store & thought it would make a good cab structure. I used 4 mil vinyl for the windows on the PVC but for the metal cab I think I will go to the 10 mil. I got it at ACE H/W store. It comes in 3' wide and sells by the foot. I think the 4 mil was $1.29/foot and the 10 mil was $2.49/foot. I also bought some snaps where one side screws into the metal (or whatever) frame and the other you fasten to the fabric. I think I'll double over the edge where I put the snaps for strength. I was going to stretch the vinyl fabric nice and tight & snap it on & then overlap the roof fabric (canvas) & snap it down. It should be pretty lightweight but durable enough for my use. I'm not a rough-rider & just use the Argo for chores on the farm and entertaining grandkids. If you get yours done post some pics for us. Thanks and good luck!
    Terry

my old argo dealer made one out of pvc, it looked great.we like pictures on this site

2009_1107_171452AA.jpgImported Photos 00003.jpg2009_1028_171449AA.jpg2009_1107_171430AA.jpgImported Photos 00002.jpgthe structure for my canopy is all made from 1 inch square tubing, which also allows me to mount both front and rear winches. whieghs about 150 lbs. then took a heavy plastic tarp and some clear vinyl for windows. works awesome for me, and the frame is strong enough to lift some big dead fall. still have a few things to finish on my cover, but sure is worth every penny so far
    Last edited by dgh110; 03-13-2010 at 12:08 AM.
    mud and ice

dgh110... that's an awesome job on the cab! I was wondering about the weight if I used the small steel square tubing for my "permanent" cab. Good pics! Thanks,
    TerryA

+ Reply to Thread