New guy , new to 6x6's....

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy , new to 6x6's....

New guy , new to 6x6's....

i'm supposed to go pick this up sunday or monday. i know it's an Attex, but i have no idea what model or anything. supposed to have the 440 2 stroke engine in it...

Looks like Attex 440 thunderchief. If you clean up the frame rail on the right I believe(help guys if Im wrong) it will have 2 large numbers and also some other model codes but the larger numbers are the year. I specialize more in the earlier attexes but Don, Jp, racerone3 and a lot of other guys could probably help you with anything you ever wanted to know plus some you didnt.

Some attex infor here....
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...r-manuals.html

Larry's right. Check the right side of the frame rail on the top, just about over the rear axle. The two larger numbers on there will tell you the year. This Thunderchief is either a 1974 or 1975. The 1973 models came with the chrome headlight bezels and the 74 and 75's had the rubber grommet style.....just a simple way to tell them apart. I see you'll be in need of a belt, so pick up a Dayco Max 1078 and you'll be in business. This machine looks VERY original! And I see that it has the original dual carburetor set up and all of the dash gauges. Nice find! If you get this, I'd highly recommend restoring it to it's original condition. It will also help raise the resale value of the machine this way. The only thing you might want to do is update the wheels and tires to modern style ones and just keep the balloon tires stored in your garage. First start by removing all of the dirt and grime, and then take some acetone on a clean white rag and go over the body and it will clean it right up. Do it just like you're waxing a car. It might take 3 times of going over it, but it'll come back like new. I did that on my Thunderchief racer that I'm building and it looks like a million bucks now. Good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

awesome! thanks for the info!!! i'm really excited about this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceejus View Post
    awesome! thanks for the info!!! i'm really excited about this thing!
    I certainly would be too, you've got a really great machine to start with here! Just one request......don't paint it. This machine is a perfect candidate for a full frame out restoration. It really isn't too complicated once you do it because these machines are rather simple. You can get all new drive chains and inner and outter bearings (very high quality ones) at a really low price through a place that many 6x6World members use called Buffalo Bearing. Sandblast and paint the frame, run new fuel lines, tune up the motor, shine the body up and get it bolted back together with new chains, bearings, and fresh paint on the steel parts and you're going to have one really nice (and fast) 6 wheeler!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've had really good success soaking the body with bleach in a spray bottle and cleaning with a scotchbrite pad to get the dirt and fungus stuff out of the plastic. Without the bleach and just using soap, there's still dark sutff in the plastic. The bleach will clean it out.

thanks for the tips and info!
    i've had good luck with removing mold and the like with white vinegar too.
    as simple as these things appear to be, it should be a fairly easy resto i would think. the only complicated things being the engine and electrical.

i've built a few motorcycles and cars so this should be a snap! (i hope!)

who was the manufacturer of these 44 2 stroke engines?
    my dad used to fly ultralight aircraft and has a couple of VERY similar Cuyuna 430cc 2 stroke twin engines. i was wondering if they may have been made by the same company.

i guess this is the newer version of the 430..
    Engine Models 460F

The 44o in the Thunderchief is made by JLO/Rockwell. It is a 4 bolt head, and the newer version (which are 5 port engines) are 6 bolt heads. The 6 bolt head, 5 port engines were made under the name Cuyuna after they bought out JLO/Rockwell. Cuyuna went on to make engines for Scorpion snowmobiles and ultralight applications. 2si then bought out Cuyuna. The bottom ends are pretty much the same on these engines, except the jugs and heads were different. My motor in my Thunderchief racer started out as a JLO/Rockwell bottom end and I bolted on the 6 bolt heads with the 5 port jugs. You can still see the JLO/Rockwell sticker on the fan case. These are excellent engines for sure!

excellent! so i'll have a couple of back up engines that i KNOW run, just incase this one is a lost cause.

Hey 'Ceej,

The ULII-02s breathe a heck of a lot better than even the standard Cuyuna 5-ports do. Better cooling, often with CDI, better porting. Throw a couple Mikuni 34's on, and you'll be amazed at what it will do. You could run down most Superchiefs if you get it tweaked in right....

Squeeze one of the 430s in there. Dad will never miss it...

~m

:::EDIT:::
    I see that 2Si is still rating the 460 at 35 horsepower. My opinion is, that's about 20% low...

+ Reply to Thread