Need to clean the inside of the AATV...need help!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need to clean the inside of the AATV...need help!

Need to clean the inside of the AATV...need help!

Hi Everyone,
    I am in the process of restoring a Hustler 950. I uploaded about 50 pictures into the Hustler 6x6 gallery today. Anyway, I have it stripped down to just the bottom tub with the frame, chains, and the six axles. Four of the axles have wheels/tires on them. There is a lot of dirt, grease. oil, and some sand in the bottom and it needs a super cleaning job. My questions is: Can I roll it outside, tilt it on its side and pressure wash it? I would rather not have to remove the axles and frame down to the tub only to clean it. Can the two wheels on the axle support the frame while its on its side? I don't want to damage/bend anything. Once I get it cleaned, I can start more of the restoration process. Needless to say, I will have a million more questions. Thanks and let me know.
    Al
    Attached Images

you will be fine to tip it on it's side, but i would recommend since you are this far that you strip it all the way down. I found a ton of broken welds and cracks in the frame of the Hustler i just rebuilt. it's only a few more hours work to have the frame sitting out on a pair of saw horses where you can really look it over. bearings can also feel pretty good when turning an axle, but feel pretty crunchy when you have them in your hand. just my 2 cents. good luck with the rebuild!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks racerone3 for the reassurance. My plan is to pressure wash it real good while it is on its side and then carefully inspect the frame, etc. The main reason I don't want to strip it all the way down is I was told the axle bearings were all recently replaced so I fear screwing them up if they are ok. But once it is clean, I am going to put it up on milk crates and turn the wheels to make sure everything looks and sounds good. One thing I have noticed is that the front control sticks are very loose. Is that normal? Do I just need to tighten the main connecting rod at the base of the sticks?

I would have to echo what racerone3 said. I think if you don't tear it completely down you will regret it after it is back together for a while. By completely tearing it down you can also sand and paint the frame more easily to prevent future rust. If the bearings are new that means that the axles were recently out so it should be super easy to take everything back out since nothing should be rusted together. It should only take you a few hours to pull everything back out again. You won't mess up the bearings by doing so. In fact you can inspect them to make sure the previous owner installed them to where they get grease properly. It would definitely be worth it in the end.

If you decide not to tear everything out you can clean it with everything in there like you mentioned without damaging anything. Just be sure to support the ATV so that it isn't knocked over by the pressure washer.

I pressure washed the 950 today and it turned out really well. I found a few more nuts and bolts to add to my collection. The biggest surprise was a 6 mm Remington unfired cartridge jammed in between the frame and the sidewall. A coat hanger flipped it out I also scrubbed the rusty areas with a wire brush and then applied some de-rusting spray. I am going to re-apply some more rust remover then paint the metal. Now that it is clean, I agree with both of you and I am thinking about going ahead and removing the frame from the tub. I am going to put it up on milk crates so I can inspect the axles more closely before I make the decision. One thing I did notice is that on at least one of the axles there is a little bit of play. For example, when I turn a wheel it will turn about an inch before it contacts the axle. I noticed a few of the bolts that go through the axle joining the inner and outer rods are loose. Is this normal? Should they be tight? Thanks,
    Al
    Attached Images

Again, your this close rip it apart and check it out really well and repaint the frame. EastWood sales a great frame paint(Spray can) and it is not to expensive but tough as nails, used it on my 68 Merc. It would be a shame to do all that work and have to strip it back down again . That is a nice looking tub there.

Note: I found that baking soda will draw oil out of the plastic where it is stained. It will not get all of it but you will see the difference.

Again very nice machine and good luck with it.

Sounds like the bolts holding the sprocket tubes to the axles are loose allowing the axle to spin inside the sprocket tube just a little bit before it contacts the bolt which them moves the sprocket and chains? If that's the case then they do need to be tight. You will also need to make sure that the bolts are the correct size and that the nuts actually tighten up onto the sprocket tubes instead of on the bolt itself. If that happens it is usually because the threads of the bolts don't go far enough down into the sprocket tubes.

It does look 100 times better but I would definitely still take the frame out. Good luck with everything.

your axle, or sprocket tube holes are probably worn to where they are slots instead of holes. some of mine had almost 1 inch slots in the sprocket tubes. another good reason to pull the axles... i weld thick spacers to the sprocket tubes to fix the slots, then run a longer bolt.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

CASTROL SUPER CLEAN ( PURPLE BOTTLE ) at walmart in the automotive wax section ( $ 7.00 ) put in a spray bottle, spray everything down, let sit 5 min. wash off with a garden hose repeat if need be will do wonders on oil and grease and dirt and stains!!!!!!!!! USE IT ALL THE TIME ..

Yea I love the purple power too! Ok...what are the basic steps to remove the axles and pull the frame out? Is there a guide? Once I slide the axles out will all the sprockets and chains fall loose or will they be held in place by another rod? I am guessing that I will:
    1. Remove the wheels.
    2. Remove the 3 axle bolts and then the sprocket tube bolts, then slide the axles out.
    3. Remove the middle cross bar and then the front upper side attachments.
    4. Remove the rear 2 frame bolts.
    5. Lift frame out of tub???
    What am I missing and any tips to be successful Thanks,
    Al

+ Reply to Thread