hustler min engine size

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hustler min engine size

hustler min engine size

Just got my first hustler 6x6 almost running but the 18hp honda is turning out to be a money pit,soo guys what's the minimum hp size needed for someone on a tight budget. Me and the wife just wanna ease around not spend the weekend dragging it outta the woods.thanks

Hustler used a single cylinder Kohler (17 horse? 18 horse? Help me out here, Hustler dudes) for years. You could get a Max IV (which is a fairly large machine) with a single cylinder Tecumseh OH160 (16 horsepower) as well. Attex used the OH160 in the Tomahawk, too. The base-line Max II was (and still is, maybe?) a 14 horsepower Briggs V-twin. Attex went as low as an 8hp single back in the late-most 60s, which worked quite well for a small machine.

There are several "small" options right there. If you're just looking for a touring machine that has enough grunt to take you through the woods, all of the above would probably fit the bill. You can always upgrade to a larger engine later, if you feel the need.

~m
    Last edited by hydromike; 10-18-2010 at 04:11 PM. Reason: I spelled Tecumseh wrong! Takumsuh! Chapperall! Rotek! Vangaurd!

Hey Byrd:
    LarryW has a couple Attexs with the Honda clone motors out of china. They are, I want to say, 13hp and another close to that, and he has done fine with them. Best thing is they're quite cheap, so it fits the budget bill. Maybe he'll chime in with info or you can send him a PM.
    Attex 295 Wild Wolf: My Runner
    Attex 252? Colt? Racer 80%: My Racer to be..... SOMEDAY
    Attex Super Chief - Sold.

Sweet if a 13hp single will ease me through the woods,that's the ticket for me.thanks a ton you guys.gonna go price some now.

Heck, I forgot about Larry's small engine wonder's. He's running a Tecumseh single OH160 in his eight wheeler! I drove it for a bit, and it's plenty powerful.....
    ~m

Here's a site, nice reliable motor for near nothing:

Featured Products
    Red Hot Deals!
    DeWALT Power Tools
    Bosch Power Tools
    Delta Machinery
    Porter-Cable
    Dremel Tools & Acc.
    RotoZip Tools & Acc.
    IR & CP Air Tools.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Categories
    Generators
    Air Compressors
    Tarps & Canopies
    Gloves
    Safety Products
    Shop Tools & Equipment
    Hand Tools
    Wood & Metal Working Accessories
    Construction Products
    Abrasives
    Raingear & Boots
    Power Cords, Work Lights & Light Bulbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contact Us
    Support

Order Online or
    Call 1-800-629-3325.
    For Sales Outside the
    US Order Online or
    Call 909-568-2800

For a Limited Time Get Free Ground Shipping

The XP16HPE Features
    4 Stroke engine.
    Full EPA and CARB Approval.
    Start System: Recoil / Electric.
    Ignition System: Transistorized Magneto.
    Air Cleaner: Dual, Semi-dry, Oil Bath, Cyclone.
    Includes Power Panel
    Specifications:
    Max Output: 16.0 HP / 3600 RPM.
    Max Torque: 28.5 Nm / 21.0 ft/lb.
    Displacement: 419ml, Bore: 90, Stroke: 66.
    Shaft Size: 1" Dia, 2-3/4" Long, 1/4" Keyway, shaft end drilled & tapped w/ 3/8" 24 UNF.
    Dimensions: 20.47" L, 18.5" W, 22.0" H.

XP16HPE 0.00 lbs. $399.99
    Qty

Mike, I had no Idea that was an OH160 in Larry's 8x8. I gotta say that's VERY impressive. I know it's sought after as a good torquey motor, but wow. On kinda a related subject, I may know where there's a Tecumseh for cheap, but ask in a couple days

[QUOTE=Noel Woods;75572]Here's a site, nice reliable motor for near nothing:

That is MaxTool.com - Get the lowest prices on name brand tools and equipment! and a DuroMax engine. Which I am guessing is from China. The 16 HP model with electric start is $399.00 with free shipping. The 16 HP with recoil start is $50.00 cheaper or the 13 HP with electric start is $339.00. I just wonder if the rated horse power is true? Does anyone have any experience with these engines? I also think I have seen the 13 HP version on Ebay for $299.00.

I just googled DuroMax engines and Overstock.com has the electric start 16 hp version for $344.00 with $2.95 shipping!
    Last edited by arp35; 10-19-2010 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arp35 View Post
    I just wonder if the rated horse power is true? Does anyone have any experience with these engines?
    LarryW. I believe his blue wonders are DuroMax, or maybe PowerMax, not sure.
    Ooohhhh LARRRYY! Where are yoouuuu?

I've got a powermax on a piece of power equipment. It starts in all conditions, runs well, no problems, and was dirt cheap. The 16h.p. should suit a person on a budget well. I came really close to putting one in my Max 2, but a friend in the air cooled engine business got me an 18 h.p. Briggs at a good price.

+ Reply to Thread