Hello from Grizzly

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Grizzly

Hello from Grizzly

Hello everyone.
    Newbie on the site.
    I purchased a 2000 Bigfoot (with 25 hours on the hobbs) the thing is loaded.
    Came with super tracks (that were never installed) with a set of mounted Runamucks. Full cabin, hitch and winch.
    I bought the service manual and service videos.

We got everything drained and the carb cleaned up, varnish up the wazoo...
    It runs better but still needs a few adjustments. It seems to pull a little to the left, but then, there isn't mush of any place without at least 3 feet of snow... In fact, in the last week, we've had 3 storms and the snow accumulation is up to 6 feet off the trails. (I've got groomed trails in the back 40 that I maintain with bushog during summer)
    Today, I got to the back with alot of work and finangling... As soon as I would get out to go have a look in the bush for deer trail and beds, I'd be up over the waist in snow and that is on the track trails...

I have a couple of questions for the experienced group:
    1) One of the reasons the fellow who sold it to me did not like the machine, besides not being able to get used to the brake steer is that he could not keep the batteries going. I know he did not use it enough to keep the battery charged and it would go flat. The other reason is that the cooling fan fro the brakes takes up more juice than the 20 amp system on the 18HP can put out.
    So, here's the question: Being that the fan eats power faster than the engine can recharge the battery, can I dissable the fan for the winter months? I took out the fuse and the system charges up.
    The weather is well below freezing and I don't think cooling is as important as in the summer.
    b) I was thinking about installing a switch to dissable the fan while idling and first starting, etc.

2) ODG sells an alternator kit which is apparently expensive. Is it worht it? Or can one change the magneto for a 50 amp one?
    What is the best battery and way to charge it with the Vanguard 18HP?
    I thought of a solar panel to help along.
    I installed a deep cycle gell battery, normally found in wheel chairs.

I'd really like more juice so we could run a fan to the windscreen cause it fogs up real fast with the cabin zupped up. I know... Don't zip it up, right?? Well, read back where I said over six feet of snow...
    I am thinking of making fenders for the tracks.
    Aluminum and rubber, like a big old mud flap and strenghtener.
    I'm 6'1" and my hunting partner 6'3", we can lift our legs up and over the track, but you should have seen my girl friend who is 5'2" getting in the thing... Now picture that with a snowmobile suit and snow up to the thermometer...

Thanks for the help if you have any tipsand or advice for me.

JD

Grizzly,

I've had my Bigfoot for about a year and a half and have put around 30 hrs. on it. I have gone as long as a month and a half without starting it and have never had any problems with losing a charge on the battery. This past weekend, I thought I was going to wear my winch out using it so much and never had any battery troubles. Anytime I try to crank it, it spins over just as fast as it did the day that I brought it home. I don't have have an alternator on it either. Sorry that I'm no help, but I just wanted to give my 2 cents worth.

I like the switch on the fan. Recommend a lighted switch to remind you it's not on. Charging system should be 16 amps, have seen a 20 amp stator in parts lookup, don't know if it'd work with regulator. Probably more trouble than it's worth. Same for the alternator.

I replaced the argo brake fan. Stock one says 8 amps. A Rule marine ventilator fan is less than 4. Takes a little fabrication. But you should be good to go with a strong battery and at most a fan switch.

The 23 vanguard is available with a 20-50 amp system but supposedly won't retrofit the older blocks.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I PUT A FAN SWITCH ON MY AVENGER. You only need the fan when you are driving, steering gets the brakes hot, it is kind of dangerous to drive without the fan, if the brakes overheat and fail you will likely make a fast unplanned turn! Nice to be able to shut the fan off when idling or winching or on start up. Rogers idea of a lighted switch sounds safer.

Oops, I forgot -Mud flaps for tracks--Good idea--Can be purchased from Argo or make your own--I bet your windows won't steam up as much either!

Thanks Roger.
    I got the original books and they say 20 Amps stator. I haven't had the chance to put the multimeter on it yet; its in the garage that still has 3 feet of snow in front of it... I was told to make certain I 1) get a heavy duty switch and 2) switch at the relay rather than at the fan itself.
    I had thought of the colored switch, was thinking of green for good to go...
    The cold certainly doesn't help and no charge at iddle, in fact looks like it draws at iddle. Yesterday, I did have to winch myself out, the powder was over 6 feet deep and this time, the old back up straight and take a run at it couldn't get me out of it. This was not a drift, more like a bowl of at least 50 feet of 6 foot or more deep. The old crank on the motor was helpful when I got out of the tree stand 4 hours later and the starter went "click"...

Philipatmaxfour, mudflaps from Argo??
    Where would I find that on their site?
    One thing I found with the Argo site is that they do not always "show" the accessories or options, so a guy can't just make his own or modify their idea or come up with a better one...
    I was thinking of running 1/8" aluminumthe length of the Bigfoot's side, sticking out 4 inches or so, with a thin (3/16th") strip of belting material over the top of it for the width of the track protruding from the side of the Argo. Sound good?? Better idea??

Tomass, thanks! I will dig myself out of this snow and get to the proper tools to analyse this better. The voltmeter does go up to over 12 when I rev-up.
    Its been so cold that for the time being, I just pulled the fuse and got juice again...
    Today, I will get a switch and install as soon as I get a chance.
    The thing is, don't forget that I bought this thing to go play...
    Get out back the only other way to get there besides snow shoes. A snow mobile would not make it, not even a Bravo... So, that means snow shoes, not a problem, except that once back there, it would mean sitting in a tree stand for hours and freeze my boys off... Its so deep that even with beaver tails or my magnesium shoes, I still have to lift out a couple of feet to walk. a half mile or so later, you've worked up a sweat...
    We've gat a little over a week of bow hunting to go to fill the freezer, after that, there will be more time to tune this puppy up.
    Thanks for all the replies, I new guys with amphibs would be cool and share their knowlegde. Thanks a bunch guys!!
    JD

Smile Argo flaps

Grizzly, You are right, Argo have lots of acc. that are not shown on their site or their price list. The factory track flaps that I have seen are HDPE,same as the machine, made from scrap bottom tubs for sure. Your idea sounds good to me. Makes getting in a bit harder. I rode at the Ledges last year with a guy named Rick. His Avenger had factory flaps. They stood up to some awful abuse going through the bush with no tracks on! Happy hunting

Congrats on your machine. What I have done is install a battery tender to my machine, it keeps the battery charged at 100%, no over charging. Batteries last a lot longer. I also have one on my motorcycle, the orginal one lasted one year, the second one has lasted 5 years, the battery tender (brand name)
    make a world of difference especially if you don't use your machine for long perioda and cold out

+ Reply to Thread