noobie 6x6 owner needs first time engine advice

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: noobie 6x6 owner needs first time engine advice

noobie 6x6 owner needs first time engine advice

just bought an old 1963 Ramco Retriever 6x6 that came with everything 'except' the engine..Now im not even going to try and pretend i understand which engine to get..

so my question is, if anybody can help:

what is the best engine for a 6x6 that isnt so loud and maybe under a $1000 bucks..?
    and can atv silencers be attached as well to help keep the engine noise down..?

im sorry if it seems like a dumb question, but the 6x6 world is brand new to me as of today..so many questions..

thanx

Hi BMB, Welcome to the site. You can try Overstock.com for a duromax 16 h.p. I think they are around $350. Some of the members here have them. Maybe Larry W. will chime in. You'll probably spend $150-200 for a drive clutch. Comes with a muffler. You'd probably want to seperate the key switch assembly and mount it on your dash. Good luck Mike

I'm sure it originally came with a 2 stroke engine, they are light, powerful, and a small package. Back then they were cheap because they had less moving parts. I have never heard of one being quiet though. Try putting in a "clone" type 4 stroke. Here is a good source Gas Engines
    I wouldn't go over the 16HP model, and that may even be too much for the steering clutches and drive components. You will also need a primary drive clutch.....http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...-clutches.html
    Good Luck

I was just looking at the brochure for the Ramco Retriever that 6x6World member Moses posted up (he used to build these machines when they first came out) and it said that they had the option of either 8, 10, or 12HP 4 stroke engines.

"Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

wow, thanx so much for the info..! i was asking the previous owner about the 6x6 world and he was telling me it was a pretty cool community with people helping out, now its been proved, cant wait to drive my ramco..will post piks soon

+ Reply to Thread