where to drive a 6x6 in michigan??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: where to drive a 6x6 in michigan??

where to drive a 6x6 in michigan??

I have my scrambler ready to ride and I am a little bummerd with the fact that michigan wont allow any orv over 50" width on any atv trails .My scrambler can only go on orv trails the same as my 1987 bronco !My searching on this site it leads me to believe the only place I can go is the mounds near flint michigan.I live in macomb county michigan -city of roseville 4 miles outside of detroit and its hard to believe with all the vacant land and the fact that macomb county is huge that I have no where to drive my scrambler!The state of michigans ORV trails are way above the thumb area on the west sides of the state, hours of traveling for me.The michigan DNR website actually condemns argos!Of course there are all sorts of rules and regs for argos etc.Detroit needs to become a ORV site!-I'm a man of the 80's when everybody was jacking up their trucks vans cars everything to resemble the monster trucks.Heck most people would just drive off road on to any vacant field and go mudding.No questions asked even if you got stuck a cop would see you walking and radio in a tow truck.Man times sure have changed.Maybe a fellow michigander can give me some options?

Check out Bundy Hill ORV Park in Jerome, MI.

Michigan Off Roading at Bundy Hill Off Road Park - Jerome, MI (4x4, OHV, ORV, ATV, Quad, Motorcycle, Jeep)

Most "normal" riding places, as you've sadly discovered, do NOT allow wide vehicles such as ours on the trails. I still find it hard to believe that the laws haven't changed with the proliferation of these wide Rhino-type UTV / side-by-side vehicles everywhere. Possibly that may change one of these days. Contact your local legislator and ask them to draft something to put before the state to amend our old, outdated regs.

In the meantime, you can try and run the trails at your own risk. I have taken my Max rigs up around the Grayling area multiple times and never had problems - but I also never ran into any DNR officers either. It depends on how you ride and whether, if you do encounter a DNR officer, what kind of person he or she is and what kind of day they have had. You may get off with a wave or perhaps a warning... or a ticket and get your machine impounded. It's a crapshoot unfortunately. Best of luck.

Mi DNR website DNR - ORV/ATV talks about 5 scramble areas.....the only one I've been to is silver lake.
    Bundy hill is quite a long drive for you
    I'm about 2 hours away also, you can come over and ride here if you want.
    There's also a real nice place by LarryW (Three rivers Mi) but that's a real long drive.
    The Mounds is probably your best bet. I haven't been there yet, but want to go.
    In general I don't like public land...too many rules. Private land is much better, as long as you are respectful, and don't tear stuff up everybody is happy.

wow , I had no idea that you fellows had such unbelievable restrictions for the use of public lands, up here, if it is crown land/public lands you just go do what you want, go where you want, carry a gun anytime, parks and preserves have restrictions but not public lands, only heavy equipment and industrial machinery have those kinds of regs.
    MI atv regs DNR - Argo Use on State Land
    PS technically you are not an Argo , they worded the regs incorectly
    He who has not cruised the back country in a 6x6 , has not lived life to it's fullest
    A Mans level of mechanical education directly corresponds to the level pain suffered while getting it

Correct I am not an argo!-My measurements at the body put me at 50"-Now If I measure tire end to tire end then I am over the limit.Thanks for the responces.I just wonder how many people in the detroit area bought a brand new argo and then finding out just how restricted using the machine is.The detroit area craigslist has some brand new argo's that are for sale and I just wonder why would the person purchase the argo and then sell it with all the options so soon??

"Correct I am not an argo!-My measurements at the body put me at 50"-Now If I measure tire end to tire end then I am over the limit.Thanks for the responces.I just wonder how many people in the detroit area bought a brand new argo and then finding out just how restricted using the machine is"

Probably as many as in the Cleveland,Oh vacinity

Joe.

Hey Flippy
    I just seen your post from 2011 I live in lake Orion Mi about 2 mls north of Great Lakes crossing
    Did you ever find a place to ride?

+ Reply to Thread