New Mudd-ox owner seeking advise

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Mudd-ox owner seeking advise

New Mudd-ox owner seeking advise

I live in Wasilla, Alaska and just purchased a slightly used 2010 diesel Mudd-ox with tracks, and the canvas cab. I am an avid hunter and have used ATVs for years and have pretty much learned the limits of what they can go over or through, but this is the first AATV that I have owned and I recognize how different it is and how little I know about how to operate one properly in challenging terrain. I have been a reader only of this forum for about two years now, as I have kicked around the idea of buying an amphib and have considered the Hydro Traxx and the Mudd-ox.

My brother in law purchased a used Hydro Traxxn out of Homer last year, matter of fact, Bubba Hunt, I think we may have purchased your old one.

I'm seeking advise from you experienced owners of a list of "don't leave home without it" items that I should obtain and take on every ride. I would also like a list of items that are handy to have if room allows.

Also, what type of chain lube and hydraulic oil do you guys prefer? Any help or tips would be appreciated and would speed up my learning process with this new machine. I would like to be able to ride with some of you guys if possible and play follow the leader so I could learn just what these machines are capable of and what their limitations are.

I intend to have an aluminum top built for the rear, mostly for light weight storage on top. Is it safe to haul fuel on a safari top or does it make the rig tippy in off camber situations or dangerous when crossing flowing water? Has anyone made an aluminum Safari top that fits over the canvas rear top and if so, are you happy with it?

I hope you guys don't mind me picking your brains, as I expect I will have many questions that most of you can answer and perhaps save me some heartache in the field or down time.

Hi alaskadiehard, welcome (officially) to the site and congratulations on your Mudd-Ox. We have all been in your position at some point, having to learn the limits of our ATVs. The best thing to do is to just take it slow and start one obstacle at a time. With some time behind the sticks, you will begin to get a feel for what to do, especially with your experience on 4x4 ATVs.

For the "don't leave home without it" kit, there are several good threads on that topic including safety items to take as well as tools / parts to take. Try searching the site for them. Here's a couple to get you started:
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...y-supplys.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...-contents.html

The same for the chain lube, that has been discussed a good bit as well so there are some threads that should help you get up to speed:
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...rgo-chain.html
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/gener...be-chains.html

For riding with others close to you, you may want to look in the Local 6x6 World Members forum. There are a lot of you diehard Alaskans on the board and you may be able to find someone near you. That's definitely a good way to learn the capabilities of your machine, even if you end up riding with different types of 6x6 and 8x8 ATVs. Just seeing someone in front of you tackle an obstacle gives you a different perspective than riding through it or over it yourself.

I have seen several Argos with aluminum tops on them for storage, even some with fuel on top like you want to do. It will make it more top heavy, which will probably effect you the most when you are in the water. I think I would get used to the machine in the water as it is for a while first and then add the top or a trailer. Post some pictures of your Mudd-Ox in the gallery if you have any.

Hey Alaskadiehard, I have quite a bunch of goodies in my repair kit, and as soon As I get done with this fishing trip I'll get you a list.
    I made some kool brackets that bolt on my tracks, with holes in them that I can use a couple of short ratchet straps to make track removal easy and fast.
    Besides a set of tools, I carry a jumper strap with allegator clips so I can jumper the glow-plug rack from the battery in case I lose the glow-plug relay.
    I carry several extra relays. Most of the electrical gadgets have relays.
    The big thing is a dremmel tool (12 volt) with little cutter disc's so I can cut a broken chain for replacing broken links. I have several extra links.I think you could come in on just the front chains with no problems should you break a chain. I have never heard of breaking one of those dual 60 chains, but I guess it is possible.
    Anyhoo, as soon as fishing is over I'll do up a list of things.
    If you are over this way, stop by and I'll give you a spin, and show you what to expect from your ox.
    Bubba

Hey there Mr. Diehard,I too am considering both the HT and Ox for here in Alaska. I got some good advice and info from Bubba Hunt as well but was wondering what your spin on the decision was and what you and your brother in law think of the Hydrotraxx.
    I'm honestly leaning towards the HT with the big Kubota diesel and numerous other options but will not make a purchase untill next spring so that is subject to change. I like yourself have no experience in AATV's and do my outdoors hunting/fishing/xploreing by 4 wheeler as now and see the benefit of the amphibs. A co-worker here on the Slope just ordered a decked out diesel Ox so I'll have to go on a few mud runs with him to see how they do. For some reason the Hydrotraxx has most of my attention so far. Have fun with your new ride!

Cwoods
    My brother in law had some troubles at first with the Hydrotraxx. He got it stuck in some swamp, that an atv could get through. He believed that the tub design didn't allow enough ground clearance. Perhaps the tires may be too aggressive for swamp and when they dug in, the tub settled on the surface and he got stuck.

We learned that it had a faulty engine heat sensor that kept shutting it down. He went through it carefully after that and thought he was ready for a good ride. We took it to our moose hunting grounds off the Denali Hwy, but it bogged down and wouldn't climb the first steep hill we came to. Like all of us, the driver at the time was inexperienced with this type of machine and we didn't know enough that when it bogged down we needed to back off the sticks. He hasn't had it out this year yet, but now that I have the Ox, we will take them both out soon. We are hopeful that the Hydrotraxx will perform as it should now.

At first, I was very leery of having another machine with chains. I had a 4x4 chain driven atv in the past and hated the chains. That kept me looking hard at the Hydrotraxx, but after reading some of the posts by Bubba Hunt, especially those after he purchased his Mudd-ox, I felt that the chain maintenance was outweighed by the better tub design for ground clearance, the mid engine and the diesel available. Also, I would have had to drive down to the states to get the Hydrotraxx.

I am thinking the narrower ox as compared to the Hydrotraxx will be better on tight trails, but I expect I would have been pleased with the Hydrotraxx if I had purchased it instead. I think they are both very well built machines and the best of the aatvs on the market for the terrain I expect to be in. They will both get well used this fall and I may have a different opinion of them after the hunting season is over.
    I am very interested to see how these machines perform with tires as compared to the tracks. I am hoping that the tires are sufficient for the country I hunt moose in and I can save the tracks for winter only use.

I purchased this amphib because I wanted a more go anywhere type of machine. I hunt with just two partners and we get at least one big moose every year and haven't had to pack one in over 7 years, as we are able to ride the atvs to the moose, but we sure get stuck a lot when on the way out with the heavy load. I'm hoping that this machine will go through the mud and swamp that we have to travel in without getting stuck. It may even open up some areas that I haven't considered hunting in because I just couldn't get the atv there.

Quote Originally Posted by cwoods View Post
    I'm honestly leaning towards the HT with the big Kubota diesel!
    The diesel Mudd-Ox Alaska die hard just bought has the same exact engine. But if you want more matt will tune up the engine And give you closer to 60 bhp

+ Reply to Thread