12vdc cooling fan-radiator fan-engine cooling-Suggestions??

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12vdc cooling fan-radiator fan-engine cooling-Suggestions??

12vdc cooling fan-radiator fan-engine cooling-Suggestions??

I have searched the forum posts regarding engine cooling.My scrambler has fresh air intake ducts that I installed.I still had to remove the rear seat in order for the engine to stay cool enough-actually the clutches started overheating and slipping due to the heat but once the rear seat was removed I had no more problems.Now I have seen mentions of using a cherokee dc radiator fan or a car or truck heater blower motor to cool things off.However It seems that these ideas are mentioned in posts but I never hear any results .So what do the experienced have to say?I like the idea of the 12"x12" cherokee radiator fan but with a 40 amp circuit breaker wont this fan draw more juice that my 16hp briggs flat twin generator can produce?-one more thing the temps had highs of lower 90's -The seat being removed also made the scrambler engine and drivetrain noise very noticable and annoying which is why I missed having the rear seat on besides the heat issues.

How do you have your fresh air intake ducts set up? Are the ducts just pulling air into the engine compartment or do they go all the way to the engine and completely seal around the engine's fan? Here is how Max solves the problem with the V-twin:

While your motor is different, the same principles apply. Duct the cool air directly to the fan and then duct the exhaust out in another location. In the picture I linked to, the top of the Max's tub is up. There are a few more pieces of metal attached to the upper tub that create a duct around the exhaust when it is closed. The air pushed over the cooling fins also forces the heated air around the exhaust out of the other side of the Max through the metal duct.

Just wanted to share the picture with you since it may spark some new ideas.

Amps x volts = watts your circuit breaker limits you to 480 watts. How much do you use to run? how much do you have left? what is the watt or amp rating on the fan you want to use? With the seat back in, how do you cool both the clutches and the motor with one fan? Are you set up to get cool air to the carb or hot engine compartment air? THINGS TO LOOK AT.

You can also use a brake cooling fan from a Argo to cool your engine compartment. Your electrical system should do fine with it. Other options are boat engine compartment exhaust fans.

I found this fan on Amazon.com Amazon.com: PROCOMP 7" INCH ELECTRIC AUTO COOLING FAN 12 VOLT CURVED BLADE: Automotive. Its listed as 4.8 amp draw, 12vdc, at 500cfm. Small size but a bit noisy. You would have to make a grill on the top of the blades. I'm sure that can be modified to meet your needs.

I do have the muffler boxed with 14 ga steel and it exits out the back.I have a whole in the body by the cranshaft cooling fan side of the engine.I done have a duct going directly to the fan like in the picture so I can see that I need to make some mods,Thanks for the input.I now have some insight on what I need to do.

+ Reply to Thread