Using inner tubs? Yes? No Maybe?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using inner tubs? Yes? No Maybe?

Using inner tubs? Yes? No Maybe?

Sometimes I get a slow leek and I just use a cigarette lighter pump to pump it up but if I leave it for a really long time I will loose the bead. I was thinking of just shoving inner tubs in seeing it is not a high speed vehicle. What would be the disadvantages?
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

Tubes twist and pinch at low pressure,doubt if they would hold up for long.
    I have never tried them in a 6x6 so I could be wrong(won't be the first time,just ask my wife). I did run them in my jeep tires for a while, wound up losing all four running low pressure.

The guy I bought my machine off of had an inner tube in one of the tires, when I went to replace the tires the rim with the inner tube was badly rusted and all the other ones were fine. I also had small leaks with the beads on the new tires. Every time I went riding I would break a bead. I decided to try Slime, it was crazy how good it worked. I have not broken a bead since and my tires will not loose 1 psi in over two months.

That's been my experience, eventually the stem gets torn out of the tube. Maybe a tube with the stem molded on the right place would help.
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I run my Bigfoot with tubes all the time. I use to use tubes with rubber stems. Had problems sometimes but tubes were always great, never losing bead. I have tubes now on back four tires with metal stems that screw on to rim. Front two are Matt's beadlock rims (the best) gonna get four more for the others.

Saw a beadlock system at some truck site..

It used a tube, held close to the inner dia of the wheel, a couple inches max. Held close by a heavy fabric "belt". So you drill a hole in the wheel for the tube's stem. Mount one bead of the tire on the wheel, then install the tube. Then work this belt over the tube, that keeps the tube dia at about the wheel dia. The belt has sides that tuck the tube in on it's sides, but will let it push against the tire bead from the inside. Close it up by mounting the other tire bead. You put like 50 psi in the tube, and it can only expand outward a couple inches. BUT it is pressing outwards on the tire beads with 50 psi.

Then you still have the original valve stem to air the tire as desired. Did anyone understand that? I had trouble even with the article with pictures at first
    To Invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. (Thomas Edison)

I have found if you use tubes and sheet metal screws on one side of the rims (Dave Berger's tube and screw method). Use a size that only goes partially into the tire. This keeps the tires from slipping and tearing out the stems. I also remove the cores from the tubes anytime I'm doing routine maintenance on the machine. This helps relax the tubes and also helps keep the stems from ripping out.

With that said I would only recommend doing this on an older set of rims. A good set of bead-lock wheels is still the best bet.

Roger,

I saw that system in this month's peterson's 4wheel and off road mag. I thought that would be a good system but don't know if they make them for smaller wheels.

You are talking about Staun beadlocks!

4wd Accessories Australia

I just put a set on a friends Jeep! They are amazing! He can now run with
    5-7psi with no worries aboutlosing a bead. I know 5-7 on an AATV is high, but he's running 37x15.5" tires!
    Jeff
    02 Argo Bigfoot

I never get lost : I take expeditions!
    I'm guided by the Magic 8 Ball.

That's a pretty neat system!! I like!!

+ Reply to Thread