cleaning up max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cleaning up max II

Cool cleaning up max II

So I have been working on my "new" max II for about a month now at night when I have the time... So far I have replaced all the chains, new bearings and flanges (much thanks to the video), made the new roller type chain tensioners that I saw here, changed tranny fluid, engine oil and filter, air cleaner and installed a new belt. Should I grease the brand new bearings or will they be good for a while? Also when in neutral at idle the drive belt is not stationary it spins on both clutches. It seems to have about a 1 1/2" deflection in it. Should the belt not spin at all at idle? Should I move the engine up towards the tranny a hair or is this normal? This is about the only thing Im not sure about now. I cant wait to take it out and stretch out the new chains and see if my tensioners work.

The new belt will grab more so I would say its normal to spin the secondary if the trans is in neutral. As long as when it's in gear it doesn't try to move the machine and your idle is properly set. Break in the new belt at moderate speeds and it should be good.
    I'm sure other max II owners can give you more info.

1 1/2" of deflection is too much, read this: ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco With the engine on rubber isolation mounts you end up with even more deflection when the clutch starts pulling. A loose belt= poor performance.

For the bearing question, go ahead and grease them. That will eliminate any space that water can get in by filling the flange cavity with grease. Plus it will make sure the bearings are fully greased themselves.

Nice to have the dayco specs but when I first install my belt it rides near the top of the secondary clutch with 7/8" deflection.
    After a short drive the belt is lower in the secondary with 1 3/8" deflection. Is my belt too short or the secondary clutch spring weak?
    I have lots of bottom end torque but it takes a while to get into high speeds.
    My engine is a rotax 2 stroke so it likes to rev high.
    after i drive a bit it looks like this

when the belt is first installed it looks like this?
    Last edited by Bazooo guy; 01-13-2012 at 09:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    1 1/2" of deflection is too much, read this: ATV and Snowmobile Belts - by Dayco With the engine on rubber isolation mounts you end up with even more deflection when the clutch starts pulling. A loose belt= poor performance.
    Good to know Buggyman ,but on my max 4 I have a lot of deflection and no way to adjust for it.What to do? How do you adjust height of motor without shims and how would you then put a new belt on, on the trail? Pretty hard now to peel off the belt.

I dont have a maxIV, but I thought the motor plate had pivots on one side and height adjustment on the other.

If not you can always shim the motor up off the mounting plate.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    I dont have a maxIV, but I thought the motor plate had pivots on one side and height adjustment on the other.

If not you can always shim the motor up off the mounting plate.
    Nope just four bolts/nuts on rubber.Shimming would be thick ,puts motor up into the rear cover,would then have to cut out the mesh for breather.Maybe that is why I see this on here alot with Max 4's.....?? I may have about 2 '' of deflection with a belt with less 30 hours on it.

+ Reply to Thread