T-20 transmission stuck in forward

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T-20 transmission stuck in forward

T-20 transmission stuck in forward

The t-20 transmission in my Max II is frozen in forward. I have removed the linkages at the t-20 and tried to operate each side manually with no luck. I have rocked the machine, pulled the levers all while trying to dissengage from forward. any ideas on how to free and lube the shift mechanism. Thanks for your help.

I think this warrants pulling the shifters up out of each side of the transmission and taking a look to see if all's well. I'm assuming BOTH sides are stuck, which is a bit confounding. After you pull the shifters up out of their bore, check to see if the shift pins on the bottom of the shifter are in good shape (not broken, no flat edges, tight in the bore), and then look at the shift collar in the transmission. You should be able to take a screw driver and shift from forward to reverse (while rocking the machine) freely on each side. Make sure the shoulder on the shift collar isn't broken, too. You should be able to see 360 degrees of it while you spin the transmission.

This is the first stage in troubleshooting outside of taking the transmission apart, so report back and tell us what you see.....

mine did that same thing the other day...turns up, the linkage (sorry I havent learned the parts names yet) but the diamond shaped piece that the linkages connect to, was frozen. I recently washed it all out the last somewhat warm day we had, and water must have collected there. I used a heat gun and once it was free, I sprayed wd40 on it...hopefully your problem is a simple fix

Thanks guys, With great effort I pulled the diamond shifters. They were extremely tight in the bore. They do not turn easily in the bore, even with the pin disengaged, so I was wondering if I could remove the diamond plate and chuck them in the drill to sand a little of the diameter off? The screwdriver in the hole shifted the t-20 easily so I am sure its a clearance issue in the bore. Thanks again

It is a tight tolerance...but it needs to be tight to work right.
    Take some brake clean, spray it on a rag and use your finger to clean the bore.
    remove the O ring and clean the diamond shifter...clean the o ring too, but brake clean is probably not good for it.
    Try the diamond shifter without the o ring to see if that helps....a little grease or trans fluid to lube it will help.
    I bet that takes care of the problem

Cleaning and polishing the mating surfaces did the trick. Thanks for all the help

+ Reply to Thread