torque for t20 housing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: torque for t20 housing

Question torque for t20 housing

okay, its 2:45 foggy brain am. i looked at the t20 rebuild twice and didnt see any torque specs for the allen bolts, but.... my book says 12 to 20 INCH POUNDS. whats that? hand tight with an allen wrench?

If it's for the bolts that hold the case halves, I thought I remembered something along the lines of 20 ft/lbs.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

If it is inch pounds you will need a torque wrench that reads inch lbs.
    Here are a few samples of the different kinds: Inch Pound Torque Wrench: We have inch pound torque wrenches.

if it is inch pounds and you have a foot lb. torque wrench just take your foot lb and divide by 12 to get inch lb. and there you have it

Quote Originally Posted by sherman View Post
    if it is inch pounds and you have a foot lb. torque wrench just take your foot lb and divide by 12 to get inch lb. and there you have it
    Sherman's right... your ft/lbs torque wrench might not be intricate enough to actually read the right number in inch-pounds, but the conversion is right.

Online Conversion - Torque Conversion

i discussed the divide by 12 with a guy last nite and we thought maybe that wasnt right, upon reading above post remembering along line of 20ft/lbs, i started out to the garage to re-read manual but its freezing rain here so i'll check tomorrow. thanks

This torque spec really isn't critical by any stretch of the imagination. Just make sure your case half gaskets are in good shape and get them tight and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    i discussed the divide by 12 with a guy last nite and we thought maybe that wasnt right, upon reading above post remembering along line of 20ft/lbs, i started out to the garage to re-read manual but its freezing rain here so i'll check tomorrow. thanks
    Actually Sherman's statement was a little fuzzy......Many of us understood what he meant, and figured you would also. Anyway, here is a clarification. 12 inch pounds= 1 foot pound. So if you have a number in inch pounds and would like to know the equivalent ft/lbs, you would divide by 12. If you have the torque spec in ft/lbs you would multiply by 12 to get the correct number of inch/lbs.

okay.thanks. but it looks like thats the least of my concerns now. as i stated in another post, my bands have SOME CRACKS, although i didnt take them out, it looks like they're only the 1st 2 inches from the retainer at the top. the next question is, do i NEED to change them? i expect the general concensus to be, "since you're in there............." waaaaaaaa!
    i have tools, and i have hands, its the filler between my ears thats missing.

Quote Originally Posted by applejack View Post
    the next question is, do i NEED to change them? i expect the general concensus to be, "since you're in there............." waaaaaaaa!
    If a chunk of the band lining comes off and you end up with some steel-on-steel action, you'll have to open it up anyway and repair a far more expensive part, and end up replacing your bands regardless..

+ Reply to Thread