how to remove driven torque concerter from trans

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how to remove driven torque concerter from trans

how to remove driven torque concerter from trans

based on recommendations, i am removed my t20 from the max.

i have three questions

1.what is the recommended way of removing the driven torque converter from the transmission input shaft? there are no holes to put a pull on it. a three jaw puller may bend the outer disc of the pulley.

2.who is the most economical but still does a good job on relining the bands on a transmission?

3. does anyone have the dimensions for cutting a second groove in the plungers for a second O ring...or is this not recommended? i have a lathe so i could cut new o ring grooves...and i have read on richards relics that this is an upgrade.

bonus question!!!!!!

4. assuming that as the bands wear, the plungers will pull out further and further, and also assuming that the refinishing of the drums does take place, reducing the size of the drum slightly, how far out will the plungers pull in a rebuilt and a worn transaxle

bonus question number 2!

i read that ther should be a quart of fluid in the transaxle. when i filled mine, there was some residual oil and the oil came out of the bottom drain plug before i put in an entire quart..for example, i only put in half a quart. when i drained it, there was not an entire quart that came out...and none of leaked out as i just filled itsaturday.

the way that the drain plug is oriented, i do not think that an entire quart would go in without reaching the lower drain plug...or am i missing something?

thank you for your help

chris

1) The driven clutches can be very tough to get off. If it doesn't come right off, try standing the trans on end, pully up, and put penetrating oil in the hole and let sit overnight.
    I have heard a 50/50 mix of atf and acetone is the best penetrating oil out there. The trans weighs 70#, so hold it up a couple inches off the ground by the clutch and try a drift pin slightly smaller than 7/8 to drive the shaft out of the clutch. It's always worked for me.

2) transmission crafters will be cheapest....here's a link to phone#'s for them and R.I. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...tml#post111255

3) the first groove is next to the cut out for the band, the second comes after a .088"space. Don't waste your time doing the top ones...they only have fluid splashed on them and one o-ring is fine. The bottom ones will be the leakers.

4) http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...html#post46427 I did have one drum that I turned .033" off it by the time it was polished....I checked it with a bare band and there was plenty of room for the plunger.....I would treat each one on an individual basis if you take that much off though.

5) the bottom plug is NOT a drain....it is a "fill to this level" one qt of fluid will bring it up to the hole. Draining is a PITA Winches work for more than getting stuck
    Attached Images
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 03-06-2012 at 08:00 PM. Reason: I remembered wrong on #3

Number 5...yep...Correct...Not a Drain.

Thanks for the input...I put some PB blaster on the shaft hoping to break it free.
    Chris

+ Reply to Thread