Briggs blowing oil

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Briggs blowing oil

Briggs blowing oil

This is a bit off topic but I know someone here will be able to answer this. My friend owns a hardware store that sells lawnmowers. Long story short, a lady bought a brand new Craftsman push mower and put 2 stroke oil in the crankcase. Supposedly she made 2 passes and it died. they gave her a new one (with the correct oil) and asked me if I could get the other one working. It runs fine with the PCV tube disconnected but smokes and blows oil out. I did change out the oil. My question is would 2 stroke oil cause the PCV valve to fail? It's brand new. What could be causing all the smoke and oil? Any Ideas are appreciated and after this there will only be Attex questions I promise.

It sounds like the rings are gone. Have you checked the compression?
    Pressure in the crankcase will blow out the pcv tube and into the carb.

Pull the starter slow and compair to a new one if you dont have a tester. Did you put in sae 30? Does it smoke out exhaust? sae 50 may be worth a try.

Crazy story do those mowers not come with a little oil bottle?

Thanks for the replies. I will test the compression. It just seems to run so well aside from the emissions from the PCV tube. The exhaust is not smoking. There are conflicting reports but I believe one of the store employees actually gave the customer the wrong oil when she bought the mower. I'm not going to waste too much time on this I'm just doing it as a favor. I can usually get stuff working and the store employees collectively can't turn a wrench. I just do not know the differences in properties between 2 and 4 cycle oil and what havoc could be wreaked inside an engine were they to be mixed up.

im pretty sure you can count on major havoc.you might get lucky and just re-ring it after a hone job.

I think it's time to stick a fork in this one. It's not cost effective to rebuild a $300 mower and I can't even source engine parts for this model. I guess it's too new. Thanks for the replies. Now on to more important endeavors: My Attex!

+ Reply to Thread