Role of the Rectifier and possible upgrade?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Role of the Rectifier and possible upgrade?

Role of the Rectifier and possible upgrade?

Hey guys.

I am trying to better understand the role of the rectifier and see if it is possible to upgrade due to the increased lighting I am adding to my machine.

The stock piece is a "larson electronics limited" 600 prv 3 wire rectifier. (6 amp rating wiht 6 amp fuse on + battery wire) the diagram on the device shows two wires in from the engine that pass through a diode on each leg and then come together and go the the + battery terminal. I believe this is a "full bridge rectifier" because it uses two diodes. (one for the + part of the AC signal and the Other for the - side of the signal.) Is this correct?

My next question is can I upgrade this component to a more powerful rectifier so I can run more lights and electronics like a 12 power socket and such while I have the headlights on.

The engine is a JLO. single cylinder.

Full bridge is 4 diodes in a diamond shape. 3 wire, two diodes means the coil must have a center tap (Rectifier circuits : DIODES AND RECTIFIERS) in order to work like a full bridge (and this would mean you would have three wires coming from the motor, unless the tap is grounded internally or just swings outside the engine to a ground.). In any case, the rectifier shouldn't be stopping any extra available power - which means if you are maxing out the draw, it is because of the limitations of the coil.

The rectifier on my bike is full bridge and has 2 in 2 out wires, the rectifier on my 6x6(jlo 440) is 3 wires, two ac wires in and one out, I figured the dc - out was on the ground. If somebody can tell if these work in different ways id like to know. One thing is my bike is a sperate regulater shunt type(shorts out the coils) and the 6x6 is either combo or no regulater. According to the jlo manual, your lighting ciruit should be 40 to 60 watts, id have to look but thats all your going to get out of it.

Furthermore i replaced my bike rectifire with a readioshack one for around $4.99. 25 amp 50 volt. If your rectifier has too low amp limit a new one with higher limit would help you, but what if your coils can only take 6 amps? Watts is amps x volts so if you measure the ac output at full rpm and divide it by max watts listed in the manual thats the max amps you can have and if its under 6 dont bother (volts x amps = watts, amps = watts/volts)

Sorry the info is kinda jumbled up and id like if other people agree o know what they think, i have a handle on this stuff but no expert.

the jlo 230 has a 40 watt while the 295 and larger have 75 watts. The 99 has no lighting coil. If you have the 230 your coil is too small and it is likely a upgrade will do no good. if you have the bigger motors with the 75 watt lighting coil a better rectifier can do some good with amp limits but i dont know know what the coil is rated at amp wise, it may be rated at 6 amps.

72 watts is 6 amps, so unless your rectifer is not charging right your stuck. I talked to somebody thats knows.

+ Reply to Thread