Kohler motor to up grade Tecumseh?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kohler motor to up grade Tecumseh?

Kohler motor to up grade Tecumseh?

I've got a 16hp Tecumseh that needs a starter. Motor runs ok but is had to start. The starter is $160 plus tax. I found a Kohler 16hp complete with exhaust for $300 that was upgraded to a 22hp twin. Staying with one of the 16hp motors what's my best choice? Is the kohler a better motor?

Humpty Doo, Northern Territory, Australia
    The Kohler is better in that it is still produced and parts are readily available. A Kohler or Briggs would be a good choice.

AussieMax is right.
    I never had much luck with Tecumseh engines. The carb always seems to have something wrong in my experiences with them.
    I have had 3 machines with Kohler engines in the past 12 years with never an engine problem.

The Tecumseh OH series (140, 160, 180) were great engines, but the problems were actually with the Walboro carburetors, not the engines. I've always had HORRIBLE luck with Walboro and Tillotson carburetors.......that's where the problem lies. Unfortunately, there are no replacement carburetors that would work well for these engines, so your best bet is to just replace the Tecumseh with the Kohler.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

$300 seems awful steep to me for a used 16hp engine.
    Have you seen the duromax (Honda clone) motors? $330 for a new 16hp
    DuroMax 16 HP Go Kart Log Splitter Gas Power Engine Motor-XP16HPE Electric Start 891784001112 | eBay
    Last edited by thebuggyman1; 09-06-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: link

Yes I was looking at the duromax and was thinking about maybe going that route. Others seem to have luck with them. As for the carb on my Tecumseh it sucks. It's the walbro and seems like any adjustments I make on it do nothing. I've pulled it apart and cleaned it up and reset the float but it's still no better. Does the duromax fit in with little mods or is it a pain to fit in? Are there any stores you can buy them at or just online?

The Honda clones are everywhere....just more $$$.
    Even Harbor Freight sells them, but I've heard theirs are poor quality
    You could try Gas Engines or even Home Depot on line.
    They do run very lean to meet emissions. The carbs can be replaced or rejetted.
    Here's a recent thread. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...ning-temp.html

As far as fit....Did you have a maxII? They fit, but the exhaust needs to be rerouted/ reworked, and the cooling air intake and exhaust needs to be ducted

Lol I don't even know what I have. The guy I bought it from said it is a mid 80's. It's a Argo 8x8. I still don't even know what tranny is in it. How do I figure out what tranny I've got? I'm going to probably end up getting the duromax.

Honda Small Engine Specifications
    Look at the drawings for the GX390 to get the dimensions

For the trans...try posting pictures, somebody will know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Lol I don't even know what I have. The guy I bought it from said it is a mid 80's. It's a Argo 8x8. I still don't even know what tranny is in it. How do I figure out what tranny I've got? I'm going to probably end up getting the duromax.
    I bought the duramax motor with electric start for $289 free shipping from maxtool in Millington Tn.

+ Reply to Thread