13 inch Tracks on an Conquest 8

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 13 inch Tracks on an Conquest 8

13 inch Tracks on an Conquest 8

I have a set of 13 inch tracks from a neighbour to try on my Argo (2003 Conquest) and they are 36 links long.
    There is no way I can get them closer than 5 inches to install the rods.
    I had supertracks on a past machine and after installing the spacers (the biggest job)you could drive on and pin up,repressurize the tires and drive off!!!!WTF is goin on any ideas????????????????
    Thanks
    Johnboy

Maybe they should be 37 links long?

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

I 'm told 36 is the magic number.

36 links is correct for an 8x8 (28 on a 6x6). Are these tracks Argo tracks? Also, what size tires are you running?

Yes Mike they are Argo tracks although they are probably 20 years old so I am wondering if the sizing changed or whatever??
    The tires are 22 inch Runamuks that came on the machine and it is a 2003 Conquest with 120 hours on it.
    John

My tracks have 34 1/2 links on my '04 Conquest. Even with my tires flat, I have to use a couple ratchet straps to pull the ends of the tracks together. That's with new pins. I run about 6psi in my tires, and that gives me about 2" of sag on the tracks with the machine jacked up.

RD

So Doc why would 36 not fit my conquest with somewhat relative ease??
    Any thoughts??
    John

I think it's time to get out a measuring stick. Each of my track links are 6 7/8" long, including the "ears" that the pins go through. Maybe they were different 20yrs ago? I believe the axcle C-C on the older machines was slightly different. Can't fit the 24" Frontier tires on the older machines, like you can the "newer" ones.

RD

I have 5 sets of 13" tracks that i run on my argos they all run 34 1/2 links,have all runaucks 22/11/8 and 20/10/8 and they work great.A good trick too put them on is to get a log or 6x6 and drive on to it 3/4 of the way with no air in the front and back tires then hold the brakes while with a set of chanel locks pull the track together and start the pin,will need 2 guys for this. Just finished doing this in a swamp with no problems so on dry level land should be a brezze

Older generation of argo plastic tracks had a pitch of 5 7/8" but the newer style track sections are slightly longer at 6" center to center. No need to try and find a magic number because tires very slightly and even different generation of argo models have slightly different frame dimensions, in addition tracks that have loose or worn hinges are going to require less sections or a half link to get them to fit right....just fit them up with as many sections as necessary and put about 5 pounds of air in all the tires and see if you have about an inch or two of sag under the two center tires with the machine lifted up in the air...also you could check your tire "sizing" and if the tires are in the wrong order, that might also effect the ideal track length an inch or more....one other thing to consider is I have seen some people get so hung up on exact track length, track sag, and tire pressure and then when they spin the tires everything changes (most tires are probably not perfectly round) then they just go crazy trying to achieve that exact fit they are hoping for

Best of luck

Tim
    Last edited by Obsessed; 09-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread