Aasking about 24 inch tires on a Max II

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Aasking about 24 inch tires on a Max II

Quote Originally Posted by Badassbanshee View Post
    Thanks for that info. On the 22 tires you got, do you know where you can get them at a resonable price?And are they 22x10-8?
    I guess that depends on your definition of reasonable........ They are only available through Argo/ Argo dealers, so you won't see much competition in price. adairargosales - Tires

I had them on my max II for a little while. I had to heat the body on the front 4 tires to make enough clearance. In my oppinion I would look for a different tire. the 24" argo tires have a very weak side wall. They are prone to side punctures. They also fold under the rim on hard turns making for very easy roll over. just my opinion

I would follow Bradons advice and buy the 22" Argo tire. I have the 22" Argo swimmer on my MaxIV with a set of Adair tracks, before I installed the tracks I took the machine for a ride just to test the 22" tires. I was very surprised how well they rode and was impressed with their traction. They are excellent in swamp, water, root and tree conditions, they climb over logs and trees much better then the 26" max tire. They are not the greatest tire in pure mud but if you keep them spinning they will throw mud and keep the machine moving forward. All in all they have many more strengths then they do weaknesses. I would contact an Argo dealer and pick the tallest set he had in stock. You may be able to find a set that sit as tall as 23". If you follow my advice please get some video and post some video of your machines performance. Since these tires were introduced I have been dyeing to see how they would perform on a MaxII.
    Last edited by mightymaxIV; 11-12-2012 at 12:24 AM.

How I regret not getting RI to send me a set of 22" Rawhides for my Max II when they had them. How do the 24 " and 22 " Argo tires work in mud when compared with 22" Rawhides? I realize the Rawhides are poor swimmers,I really only play in the water but I am much more serious about getting thru a mudhole. Still dreaming of finding someone with a set of 22" Rawhides like new mounted on like new K-Lock rims for a giveaway price LOL.........I'd pay a good price now for a set like that. My hindsight is 20/20 . I looked at a set of 22" Argo tires sitting alongside the 24". They were the same price and possibly the 22" was a bit more. The diameter of the 24" seemed to be about 23"plus and the 22" was about 21 1/2. I tried my buddy's 24" Argo tires on one side only to see and they rubbed,Mike suggested they had too much air (5 psi instead of 3 psi),sadly I didn't have the sense to adjust the pressure. They rubbed on the forward two axles slightly and my Max has no detectable body sag. The snag I feared with the 22" was I would have little or no more clearance from the ground which is what I was after. I think my 21 inch Rawhides might actually be better in mud than the 22 inch Argo tires plus the 21 inch Rawhides swim quite well.
    Last edited by Eldon; 11-19-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Added

The Rawhide III's are better in the mud than the Argo tires and they clean out better since they don't have the "closed" tread design. They're more durable than the 24" Argo tires because the sidewalls aren't as prone to punctures, and the Rawhides are more stable because the sidewalls don't buckle under hard skid steering. They were much, much cheaper too (when they were still available). I've seen and drove machines with both tires and it seems that the only advantage the 24" Argo tires have over the Rawhide III's is in the water. I will say that the Argo tire is good in the mud, but definitely not as good as the Rawhide III.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Had both on my Avenger the III,s and now the big swimmers,jp is on the money the only thing I can add is that the ride quality is much improved with the 24" argo and I find them to be better climbing over rocky terrain of the Canadian Shield and of course the water ability is a huge benefit to me crossing small beaver ponds.NCT

I was looking at my machine a few minutes ago and with the wheels extensions on (tracks installed waiting for snow) I believe the Argo tires will clear but fear the extensions,rails etc will impede water travel. I appreciate the information regarding the Argo swimmers and Rawhide III's. When the 22" Rawhide III's were still available though they were very near the price of Argo tires.RI wanted $160 per tire and K-Lock rim plus shipping the last of the availability and the Argo tire with their rim is/was about $160-190 depending on dealer. Adair Argo was $160 last year but now are either $185-190 plus shipping. I can source the Argo tires/rims locally at apx. $200 and there is no shipping/currency exchange/broker fees as they will just bring them in on the same pallet as a new Argo. Sometimes we can get a better price on some things in the US but the shipping usually puts it over.

I remember a few years ago when I got Goodyear Rawhide IIIs for around $58 from Tires Unlimited. Then everyone's prices on these started going up, up, up when production ceased. I wish they still made them. Maybe we should all get together and write emails to whoever has the Rawhide III tire molds and see if we can make an impact and get production to started again like how we did with Interco and the Vampire ASX tires.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    I remember a few years ago when I got Goodyear Rawhide IIIs for around $58 from Tires Unlimited. Then everyone's prices on these started going up, up, up when production ceased. I wish they still made them. Maybe we should all get together and write emails to whoever has the Rawhide III tire molds and see if we can make an impact and get production to started again like how we did with Interco and the Vampire ASX tires.
    Some kind of demand for the tire would help as the market is very small for actual sales of the tire. Matt Oxender told me he spoke with the company that owns the mold. Basically they won't make the tire or sell the mold. Well, they will do a special run if someone puts up the money, for $200 each tire (not sure of quantity required). He did not know why they had that mentality. Maybe he can post more info if he see this and has time.
    Everybody dies, but not everybody lives.

I remember buying a set of 6 Rawhide 3's back in 2008 for $36.00 per tire delivered to my neighborhood tire place. I wish I would have known then what I know now, and I would have stocked the garage up.

+ Reply to Thread