Mudd-Ox satisfaction

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Mudd-Ox satisfaction

I normally don't post, but I will since this is about Matt. You could not meet a nicer guy. Matt has either owned or driven every machine out there. He has taken all of that knowledge and created a machine, (MuddOx). He tested it for years and put it into production and then to market. No one on this website has done this, that I know of.
    I have owned a couple machines, the amphicat and the MaxIV, which I had fun with but the MuddOx is a whole new game. The MuddOx is more comfortable, more manueverable, safer, and all around a pleasure to drive.
    There are always going to be 1 or 2 people that will be unhappy no matter what you do for them. I do not see too many MuddOx's for sale unless someone is upgrading. That's just my opinion. As far as resale goes, selling the machine at a loss, is the seller's financial situation not Matt's.
    There is one thing that I did not like about the machine, and that was the Rawhide III tires. I never cared for them so I had them replaced before it left the factory. I know Matt is currently working on his own brand of tire.
    When I took my machine back to have a skidplate installed, Matt's team also went over everything such as adjusting the chains, lube, greased all bearings, and changed the hydraulic fluid. He did all of this at No Charge which included the installation of the skidplate.
    As far as me and my MuddOx, nothing but fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    I bought my 2010 Mudd-Ox used with only 42 hours on it and still took a BIG loss after owning it for one year! The resale value of a Mudd-Ox drops like a rock!
    Funny, I've had that same issue with every new car I've ever bought. And don't get me started on the John Deere tractor I bought in 2000....green paint is supposed to have much better resale, huh, yeah right. Think about it, why would anyone pay close to new price on a used item? I won't...if used isn't cheap enough, I'll buy new! And if anybody is "giving away" a used Mudd-ox, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by mudslinger View Post
    Thanks mudbug3 for your candid response, it seems my thread struck a nerve with current Mudd-Ox owners, which wasn't my intention...
    Following this thread because I have had sort of the same question as your original post. Not only about the Mudd-Ox but also about the New Argos with the Admiral transmission. I think you are 100% correct that a test drive and ownership do not always play out exactly the same. I have personally owned an AATV since 1995. And yes I bought my first one new with only a test drive. I think with any machine it is important to look at the intended use and see if the machines configuration fits. Also it has been my experience that there is a big difference between an 8x8 and a 6x6 no matter what brand you are compareing. I think it is good you are asking the questions you are asking and getting some first hand feedback. Here is a video that you may find interesting if you have not already come across it.

I love this video for a number of reasons. The number one reason? Tim is really having fun, just look at him.

I would like to add a couple of other things I feel are relevant to this discussion. If you were to search on the Argo thread or look at low hour Avengers like I have I think you will find many machines that require new chains and a couple bearings. You will also find owners complain that they are not that easy to work on. Probably why they need bearings because some are a pain to get to fore greasing. Also parts can be hard to get and sometimes a little pricey. And Argo is a company that has been around for some time and had a chance to establish a network of dealers for parts and service. Also I think when evaluating resale of newer machines of any brand we all realize there will be a sginifigant amount initial depreciation. I think a person needs to be realistic and realize this will be percentage based and also that with the really expensive machines the market is smaller so you may take even more of a loss. This seems to be true with all the brands currently in production.

Also when looking at Matt and the Mudd-Ox brand. This is a new and growing company with a sole owner is my understanding. Given it IS growing and expanding in todays economy is very positive. With any product there are bound to be problems, from what I can see they are or have been addressed and the company is moving forward.

In looking at and watching the newer bigger 8x8 machines I know if I were to make the leap to this sort of AATV the choice would be clear, Mudd-Ox.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Funny, I've had that same issue with every new car I've ever bought. And don't get me started on the John Deere tractor I bought in 2000....green paint is supposed to have much better resale, huh, yeah right. Think about it, why would anyone pay close to new price on a used item? I won't...if used isn't cheap enough, I'll buy new! And if anybody is "giving away" a used Mudd-ox, let me know.

I did'nt buy my Max IV ,Mudd-Ox or Argo for resale value. I was just saying that compared to an Argo in the same price range , the Mudd-Ox looses resale value much faster.

kghills

This video that you posted of Tim driving the Mudd-Ox when I owned it is my favorite Mudd-Ox video! Tim was really putting on a show that day driving my Mudd-Ox.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    kghills

This video that you posted of Tim driving the Mudd-Ox when I owned it is my favorite Mudd-Ox video! Tim was really putting on a show that day driving my Mudd-Ox.
    I have watched this video MANY time since you posted it in the Adair track thread Dave. It is simply a great AATV video. I understand your reasons for switching to the HDI but man when you watch a big machine like the Mudd-Ox go from forward to reverse and whip around so effortlessly going from a little turn to counter rotating and with the Adair tracks, wow it really looks impressive. I think you are lucky to have owned so many high end machines.

Keith.

[QUOTE=mudslinger;132510]Thanks mudbug3 for your candid response, it seems my thread struck a nerve with current Mudd-Ox owners, which wasn't my intention and was why I posted my thread on the general discussion forum before Mike the moderator moved it to the Mudd-Ox forum. I really wanted to expose the thread to people that have other machines than the Ox to see if they own something else after having an Ox, knowing that anyone monitoring the Ox forum would most likely not be the person I was looking for. So I lucked out by having you chime in and I appreciate the feedback.

My advice would be just realize that there are a "few" individuals here and all over the internet that seem to be very "anti" mudd-ox. There are many more that are happy but just aren't computer/internet guys. I understand why certain argo dealers (or maybe their customers) attempt to market "against" mudd-ox and other track designs (at least it seems that way).
    Current mudd-ox owners will give you the most accurate reports. They know the "current" status of things typically. I don't think a current owner will hide their criticism just because they own one. I won't and would actually try to save you the hassle if that was the case. Improvements have been made since the early versions that a "few" guys had. Customer service doesn't seem to be an issue. I keep seeing bad press that to me seems to be old (and now innacurate) news. The diesels to me seem to improve on any complaints that I could think of with my gas machine- mainly fuel consumption and just running hot if the temps are up (which lowers power). With a cold-air intake, exhaust mods, and proper (not overuse) of RPM, these issues aren't really issues at all. Having clutches on the gas rig gives options as well for further "gearing" improvements. I did just replace the head gaskets at 560 hrs and an electric fuel pump just before that- but not really a big deal and easy to do. Me and every other guy that has a Kohler V-twin on a lawn tractor I guess. Very common. I removed the sheet metal box around the alternator belt for easier access and get plenty of fresh-air to the oil cooler from the passenger side screen even with the cowling on- as the fan on the driver's side pulls lots of air in. Access is now much better to the engine (alternator belt, oil cooler, shrouds, even chains/bearings). Hydraulic system is trouble free, just make sure all hoses are tight and not dripping (mostly when new). Fuses and relays are easy to get to as are the chain tensioners. Hope that helps.

Thanks Buzz, and thanks to everyone else that responded, I love all the information that everybody contributes. Just wanted to say Happy Thanksgiving too, hope everyone is enjoying the day and all the great food that goes with it, now please excuse me while I'll loosen my belt and have another helping of apple pie.

Buzz

In my previous post I stated that on the second day of owning my Mudd-Ox demo ( 42 hours on it ) the altenator belt broke ,and the automatic fan swtich that cools the hydrolics stopped working. I was able to put the fan switch on manual, but since this was on a sunday, I could'nt buy the altenator belt that I needed. Even on monday only one auto parts store in this small town had an altenator belt that was close to the size that I needed. When I installed the altenator belt it was so short that it barely fit over the altenator pulley. In your post you stated that at 560 hours you had to replace the electric fuel pump. After the problems that I incurred on my used Mudd-Ox the second day that I owned it , this left a HUGE question mark in my mind what could possibly happen next. My friends and I ride at an atv park with several large swamps ,and most of the places that we choose to take our machines are very remote. You can pull a dead argo with a Max IV ,and you can pull a dead Max II or Max IV with an Argo 6x6 or 8x8 back to camp, but you can't pull a dead and heavy Mudd-Ox with either an Argo 8x8 or a Max IV with out smoking the belts on either machine.Even if you disconnect the chains on the Mudd-Ox, or by pass the hydrolics. This leaves a 4x4 truck , jeep or tractor. The atv park that we ride at has all three of these vehicles, but where we choose to ride at , neither the tractor , 4x4 truck , or jeep would be of any help to us. In the back of my mind I could see another mechanical failure that I did't know how to fix, and no one had the time to help me get my dead Mudd-Ox back to camp. This meant I'd have to leave it where it broke down and let it fill up with rain and leaves ,or maybe some atv rider would do some thing to it, like cut the wires or put swamp water in the gas tank. It might be weeks before I could find some one to help me get my Mudd-Ox back to the main camp.Or maybe I'd have to pay a mechanic to fix it and carry him to my stranded Mudd-Ox in my Max IV? Lots of bad senarious passed through my mind. Because I could rarely get Matt on the phone, and none of the Mudd-Ox dealers in the US could answer any mechancal questions that I wanted answered, I always had to call the Mudd-Ox dealer in Alaska. This was another frustration that I had when I owned a Mudd-Ox. From what has been posted recently about Matt ,he has now hired some additional staff at his shop and some one to answer calls too. This did not help me in 2010 though with my Mudd-Ox problems. When you are 125 miles from home ,and some thing mechanical happens to your Mudd-Ox ,and you know so little about it, or any one else that you ask, taking your Mudd-Ox very far from home leaves a huge doubt in your mind that hangs there like a dark cloud. I always worried about a mechanical break down in some remote area of the atv park and no one to help me tow my stranded Mudd-Ox back to camp. From trying to work on my Mudd-Ox I found out that you need the flexability of gumby to be able to change the hydrolic hoses or grease the inner bearing on the second axle. Wildtexasranger had to change out the second axles on both sides and also change the inner and out axle bearings too, and he was so frustrated after working on the Mudd-Ox at his shop, he told me that he'd never work on another Mudd-Ox again! The video's that I see of Mudd-Ox's are always out in open feilds, open areas, or Haspin acreas, which are very accessable if you ever had a break down on a Mudd-Ox. Not being able to call a Mudd-Ox dealer on the phone for parts when I needed them, plus having to remove my tracks each time I had to make chain adjustments really soured me from owing one.
    Last edited by mudbug3; 11-22-2012 at 10:47 PM.

Dave you make some really good points about the machine you owned. I was very worried about the Mudd-Ox breaking down in the swamps we run in East Texas. A machine at Haspin Acres does not face the same challenges we do. I am glad that Matt has additional staff now and that his business is picking up. I know that your 2010 machine had its share of issues. I know that the person that was the next owner ran into a plethora of issues as well. Bent axle, bearings, electrical problems. I have reviewed the photos of the repairs from that timeframe and I agree with you that that machine was a mechanical nightmare. I can't speak on the current generation of Mudd Ox because I haven't seen anything newer than a 2011, so hopefully the ease of maintenance issue, as well as the assembly issues are now a thing of the past. When a machine is built, it needs to be able to be serviced by its owner or local repair shop and shouldn't have to go back to the builder for minor repairs. I really don't see alot of current owners speaking up.

+ Reply to Thread