70's Argo 8x8 drive belt

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 70's Argo 8x8 drive belt

Angry 70's Argo 8x8 drive belt

Hi everyone I'm new to 6x6 world an I'm hoping for some help? I recently purchased an old early 70's Argo. It has no chassis plates an was in a bit of a state, howerver it does have 80% original parts, just the firewall and engine have been removed. It's been replaced with a 13hp Honda gx390 electric start.my problem is I don't know how the belt should be sat on the engine clutch an gearbox clutch at rest when fitting? I used the old mounts ,an placed the new 125-25 belt from Richard Walsh over the gear box pulley (not open,just resting over it) then the belt was around 1 an a half inches past the engine clutch pulley an chewed the belt after about 2-3 hours it worked great but then once it got to thin it tried to drop down onto the actual pulley shaft which drops engine power then just slips? Hope I'm making sense to all of u guys. Best wishes simon

The way to measure a belt is called deflection. Withthe belt over the 2 clutches, push the top run of the belt down with your fingers. The distance the belt deflects or moves down is what you are looking for. I'm guessing between an inch to inch and a half. When at rest, the belt should also be sitting just above the sheaves on the secondary clutch (larger clutch). Maybe a 16th or so. If the belt sits lower, it is too narrow. Another more simple method to check belt length is to have the engine running with the machine in gear. The primary(small clutch) should be spinning freely. If it is grabbing the belt at all, then the belt is too tight or short. There are a number of books and manuals on clutch tuning. You should definitely not be chewing up a belt in 2-3 hours. You may have an alignment issue as well. Your case may be a little tricky because of the replacement engine. It is possible that your clutches don't line up well. Hope this helps.

Hello again Simon!

You have a custom setup and as such you will be the primary R&D engineer on this project.

There are many reasons a CVT will eat belts. Make sure that both pulleys are cleaned, lubed, and working properly and are lined up (as mentioned). Try and find some identification of each pulley so the specifics can be looked up. Measure center to center between the shafts.

Post all of that information here. Also, there is a guy out there that I know Mike and Whipper talk about that is the CVT go to guy. I'll need someone else to post his contact info but Mike mentions him in his thread in the Argo forum about putting a T20 into an avenger. Once you know the above information you could probably call that guy...

Anyway, it could be that you have the wrong belt or it could be that you have the wrong CVT. Fingers crossed for the belt option.

Hi guys thanks for the info me and my brother found that the engine was infact out of line with the box meaning the pulleys were too. Just like you said, it looks like its ok now all in line an tension tAken up but because I striped the new belt will have to wait till new one gets here to try it and at £50 a time it's not very exciting. Will post some pictures of my Argo too when I work out how to hahaha thanks again guys bin a big help

+ Reply to Thread