Max iv steering

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max iv steering

Max iv steering

Just finished a major on this early 90's max iv. All new bearings, chains, idler sprockets, brake bands, trans fluid change and band adjustment. It wants to pull left all the time at medium to high speed, requiring constant correction with the right lever. I checked all the tires with a tape measure to make sure they are the same size and no change. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Congrats on performing that major service and getting the Max up and moving again. It sounds to me like your bands might be out of adjustment.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

bmc I know you measured your tires how about tire pressure? All your tires will not necessarily be the same psi. I usually have to play with the psi a little to keep my machine running straight. Play with the pressure in your tires then if its still doing what it is like jpswift says its probably your bands.

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a lot of fun doing it! Winter is finally drawing to an end here in Manitoba Canada so I'm looking forward to taking it in the water. I put twin

Whale bilge pumps in and a new winch along with some easy shift rods from Richards Relics as well. The new brake bands seem a bit shorter than the old ones so I thought I should try running with them disconnected from the brake shaft. I had the tires all at 3.5 psi and when I measured the circumference, 3 were different so I adjusted pressure to make them all the same, but no change as I mentioned. I did the band adjustment twice to be sure as it seemed like a very finicky adjustment. I took the torque up in 5 inch pound increments as per the instructions. Would I just slack the left side band off a turn or two on both bolts or is there a guideline for this? I have the chains tensioned nicely but have read that chain tension may have an effect?

Thanks for the feedback! What is the best way to adjust the bands? Loosen off one side or go through the whole procedure again?

Just for giggles, you might want to check the parking brake. If the cable gets out of the groove on one side it can add a little to that side and would show up at high speeds.

Jason
    2015 Argo frontier EFI Camo. 4000lb vortex winch with synthetic rope. 3.3 trans.

~1998 Max IV (SN 14428) on 26" TRU Power tires, winch with synthetic rope, rear seat moved back 5 inches, flip top rear seat with storage underneath, 55 lb thrust trolling motor, #24 marine Battery and a bilge pump just in case.-sold

I have replaced the brake bands [ old school set up no cables] and the new ones were slightly shorter so I'll try it with them disconnected.

Ok Gentlemen, What do you think of this? I loosened off the brake band, no improvement. Reset all the chain tensions, no improvement. I loosened off the left side band plunger bolts 1/2 turn top and bottom and no noticeable improvement. I took it into the water to try it for the first time and it did fine but it steers to the left even in the water!??

Where were you sitting while you were in the water? The engine is offset to the left side and it will cause you to lean and steer to that side unless you counteract that by moving to the right.

I would go back and adjust the plungers based on the manual (with 5/16" travel) and not worry about the water performance unless one side isn't turning at all.

Good to know Mike, Thanks! Went back through the posts and checked the air pressure as akranger 72 suggested and Bingo major air pressure differences even though the tire circumference measurements were the same. I went to 3.5 lbs on front and rear and 3 in the middle as suggested by my buddy with a bigfoot argo and no more left pull. I'm going to re-do the band adjustments as Mike suggested as I had slacked one side off. Still steers good as is but have to pull a little harder on the left lever to get the same reaction. I'm amazed at how stable it is in the water with 2 people side by side! Thanks to all for your advice. You guys are GOOD!!

+ Reply to Thread