one speed- fast. Is there an idle spring I am missing?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: one speed- fast. Is there an idle spring I am missing?

one speed- fast. Is there an idle spring I am missing?

Hello-

Newbie to argos. I bought a 1998 argo response a couple of weeks ago. On activating the throttle, the speed remains high and will not reduce.

I can see under the hood that the throttle cable is intact, but I assume that there is a spring or something missing that would reduce the speed when the throttle is released. Is this correct?

If so, where does it attach? I ordered what I assumed was a spring to do this, but it was too long and "floppy" to be able to provide the pull or tourque to reduce the speed when the throttle is released. I can manually turn a semi-circular object in a counter-clockwise fashion that will reduce the speed, but it will not return automatically when the throttle is activated.

Any thoughts? Does anyone have a photo of this area to show what I am missing? I forgot to take a photo yesterday (it is on my farm an hour away). If a spring is missing, what exactly is it called?

Thanks for any help!

I never had the throttle stuck open but I did replace a throttle cable because it was kinked at the firewall. I would also check that the throttle cable does not have a frayed wire at the throttle end. It is never a bad idea to replace a throttle cable once in a while. These are one of those components that are difficult to spot signs of damage on a regular visual inspection unless the cable sleeve shows signs of damage. Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks Dave-

When I release the throttle, the cable "curls", but does not push the throttle counter-clockwise, reducing the speed. Should the cable remain straight and "push" the throttle closed, or is there a spring which keeps the throttle low unless pulled open by the throttle cable?

The cable itself does not appear to be frayed or damaged.

Thanks!

If the cable curles when released that indicates that you have no restriction in the cable. I will check the parts manual to better understand your motor as I have a kohler. I assume you have a Briggs.
    I just found the parts diagram for your machine. Your throtle cable is clamped to a clip and the cable should go to a rotating part. There should be a spring hooked at the same place the cable is clamped and the other end of the spring should hook to the opposite side of the rotating part. I looked up 1998 Argo response parts manual. It is a PDF. The spring I am referring to is 8a. The part number is not there. You will find the spring at the top right corner of the power pack page. Good luck.
    Dave
    Last edited by Supermag; 05-05-2013 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks very much, Dave-

Yes, the engine is a Vanguard Briggs. The throttle cable appears "flimsy", such that, in the absence of a spring to reduce the throttle, I wonder if the cable could "push" the throttle down. However, I know nothing of these engines.

Thanks for the help!

The cable should not be responsible for getting the throttle from WOT to idle. If it does it should be spring assisted. I would go to a dealer and get the proper spring and ask for instructions on installing it. I had great help from my dealer and ODG on how to overhaul my clutch. While you are in there to replace the spring check that everything works well and is free of corrosion. If you activate the throttle to wide open and just release it, it should just snap back to idle position on its own. Good luck

Dave

+ Reply to Thread