Painting your 6x6 frame

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Painting your 6x6 frame

I used the Duplicolour rattle can bedliner on my Argo Frontier's frame where the floor pan was rubbing away the paint. Very tough and no more problems.

i'm with jerbear on this one... anything but black and dark grey.
    i went red on my racer just to match everything else, but a light grey is what i would recomend. it helps with finding cracks, and finding dropped stuff in the bottom of the tub. i'm seriously thinking of pulling the freshly painted frame out of the max II i just got and painting it light grey.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I put POR-15 on the frame of my Jeep TJ and covered it with black semi-gloss ChassisCoat three years ago. It definitely bonded well, especially over heavy rust. I touched up a few spots last fall because they were looking 'thin' - there was no sign of abrasion but it looked like rust-colored stains emerging from the paint. All in all I'm happy with the product. The Jeep looks better and will last longer. Winters in the Northeast are tough on steel.

Take care,

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Don, I really do like the brush on. Plus it leaves a thicker coat with just one application.

Have any of you tried POR 15? I know a lot of people use that on 4x4 axles and swear that it doesn't chip. I don't think that's much of a problem with the frames on our machines though since they are protected?

Frame paint

Thanx for the options guys. I have 3 frames out and have pressure washed them . next is sanding then paint.Guess I'll think about whicich one at work...LOL Boy the silence has been deafening on THE RACE LINE!!!!!!

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Went with semi-gloss black but will go high gloss next one I do. Kinda like the light color idea. I know cat yellow shows ANY crack that it is sprayed over.

For prep, used Ospho, works great on rusty metal, has phosphoric acid in it which dissolves the rust and converts it to primer

Paint

I used an industrial high gloss black with a hardner it after sand blasting.

Eastwood has a great glossy black paint in a spray can. It sprays on great and is tough as nails. I used this on a lot of parts for the 68. I takes about 32 hours to completely cure.

i just sprayed my max II frame with Autobody Master Rocker Panel Guard and that is some strong stuff. seems very resistant to scratching and scuffing.

+ Reply to Thread