steep climb/missing

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: steep climb/missing

steep climb/missing

Hi all,
    I'm working my way through my new Hustler, so, here's the latest:
    I was testing it after adjusting the chains, and installing a new belt, to see how it'd climb:

It really starts cutting out, missing, maybe flooding, on a steep incline.....it'll run, but, I can tell the carb is being cranky........

I've encountered this in Jeeps I have, and, am just wondering if there's an easy fix for these carbs?
    I have the 16 h.p. B&S IC engine.......stock.......

Thanks,
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

Try fogging the carb

Try Fogging the engine and check how old the gas is if you have not already

Just curious what altitude are you operating at? If it is high try using a higher octane gas and see if that makes a difference.

AMSOIL - Engine Fogging Oil

NOS is good to prevent power loss at extreme altitudes

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/engin...html#post14326
    Why do we waste tax money on bridges and roads when we can all just drive AATVs

ygmir, how steep of an incline are you talking about? Are you climbing something that is almost at the 6 wheelers limit or is it just at 15-20 degrees?

HI, thanks for replying.....
    I don't know what "fogging the engine" is.....sorry.

I'm at 3,000 ft. el. and, will be riding higher......
    I have since put new fuel in, with added stabilizer.

It seems a pretty steep hill.......I'm quite new to these machines, so, can't answer if it's at the machines limits of climbing or not.....but, it makes me nervous.........
    It's steep enough it' a challenge to walk up it without slipping.........probably a 45 deg slope? does that sound right?

I pulled the plugs and they're burning nice and clean, but, not to lean, judging be color.

air cleaner is clean.

I'm thinking float level? That's what it is in my Jeep....

Thanks again for all your patience with my "noob" questions.........
    Henry:

Yeah, a 45 degree is steep. However I'm not sure that it's enough to make it do as you described. Any carburetor will have some tendency to flood out or starve for fuel on extreme angles. I have only had that happen once and it was coming out of this mudhole:

McCoy experienced the same thing that you are describing in his Argo going up a hill in this video:

YouTube - Amphibious ATV Trail Ride

If you will notice at about 1:18 in the video, his Argo hesitates a little where the hill is the steepest. His engine was starved for fuel due to the angle. His remedy was to add an auxiliary fuel pump. He has since had his Argo on much steeper hills with no problem.

sounds like something having to do with the float,fuel pump might be only remedy.thinking about it makes me wonder how a fuel pump would even eliminate this problem 100% of the time because your float level is what it is regardless whether you have a pump or not.And depending on the angle of the lean (left,right,front,back or combination)and where your floats fulcrum is in the carb you could almost expect this to happen again when you hit that sweet spot.

Yeah,
    the fuel pump idea sounds ok, but, my tank is high, and, in front, and, I was going up hill........so, it'd seem it wouldn't lack for fuel, in that sense..............
    I'm feeling it's just like my Jeep with a carb. It just has, as desscribe below, a "sweet spot" where it'll be pissy...........

I'll fiddle with the float and see what happens........

I just finished installing a complete surround made from 1.5" angle iron, that sits on the lip where the body top and bottom join, and, then, bolting the roll cage there on.....I used 25 3/8 dia (9/16" head) bolts to put the system on, somewhat evenly spaced.........
    I left the stock body attaching screws in place, so, if I want to take the re-enforcement system off, It'll still stay together......grin........
    I can also just take the cage off and leave the "rim".

I love options.........

When I get it all painted pretty (my daughter has demanded paint color rights), I'll post a pic.

Thanks for all the help everyone.
    Henry:

I have never seen a pink Hustler before!!
    Gunnar

Hi Henry,

Darn I liked the lime green.

I think the float might be your culprit, could be either way though,to low your straved for fuel,to high and it will try to flood while running.
    Is there ever a happy medium?
    Your on the right track, I like your hustler, looks good.
    Bruce

ya had plenty of gas right?when i first did a fairly steep climb i soon learned not to with 2 inch of gas in tank!!

+ Reply to Thread