My fiirst 6x6 restoration

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My fiirst 6x6 restoration

My fiirst 6x6 restoration

First I would like to say hi to everyone on here. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and are already getting me on my way to building a cool rig. Ever since I was a kid I wanted a 6x6. I always thought these things were to coolest things in the world! LOL So I finally was able to find a project to build. I found these two on craigslist the other day and decided to jump on them. Unfortunately when I got to the place where I bought them from it was dark so I couldn't really check them out well so I decided to just go for it. I got them unloaded last night and started taking the "running" one apart to see what had to be done to take it out this next weekend to an off road event here locally in Oklahoma. To make a long story short. I decided it was too far gone to have ready by the weekend so I decided on a complete restoration instead.

I'm going to try and do a detailed write up on my restoration as it comes along. I will be working on this thing every evening and all day sundays until it is done. I wanted to start uploading some pictures so you guys can follow along but I cant seem to get it to work. Could someone help me out on how to post picts on here?

Good luck with your restoration. this thread will help you with uploading photos: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/6x6-w...-pictures.html Upload them to the gallery and create your own album for your project to keep all of your photos in one place so we can watch as you progress.

Thanks for the help Mike. I guess now is time for some pictures!!!

This is what the "good" one looked like at the previous owners place.

This one is the parts one but I think I'm going to restore this one also. The body is pretty trashed on this one but I have plans for it. Lets just say it will no longer be able to sit more than two people when its done.

OK now for some progress shots

I totally scored tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 18hp Kholer for $200.00 from my local Craigslist.
    It even comes with what looks to be a GM alternator and pulley. I'm going to try and run it to charge the 12v system Im going to run. Do you guys think its going to drag the motor down too much? Do you guys think the 18hp is going to be enough? The previous owner said that 13hp Honda that was on it had a bunch of power to it. I really wanted a 24 but for the money I just couldn't pass this one up!

And here is what was in it before

Seen in your pics you were asking about getting the axles out, the pieces you were asking about are eccentric locking collars and are what hold the axle to the bearing. Most of them look to need to be cut or split with a chisel to remove, the one that was off and the one next to that should have set screws in the caps once loosened the caps will need to be driven one way or the other to loosen them. The very rusted bearings and caps would probably be best to split with a chisel so you can hopefully save the axles.

Good luck.

Tonight after I came home happy as can be with my new engine I was eager to get to work. I spent about an hour trying to just get one axle off and my eagerness quickly turned into wanting to set the thing on fire LOL I need some help guys. What in the world are these rusty blobs at the ends of my axle shafts? For a second I thought I was working on the titanic after sitting at the bottom of the ocean. I tried hitting them with a chisel thinking it might be what was once parts of my bearings maybe? I have seen the tutorials on how to pull the Max axles out but this is not working on this guy. HELP!!!! LOL

ArgoJim thanks for the help. Looks like my work load just got a lot heavier on this thing. LOL

+ Reply to Thread