Bearing change, newer Max IV with set screws

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bearing change, newer Max IV with set screws

Bearing change, newer Max IV with set screws

So now I am getting more concerned. I thought this would be a fairly easy thing to do but the set screws worry me. Can you tell me for each axle how many of these ned to be undone on the axle? When I looked in it looks like there are two per collar and maybe 3 collars per axle. This is starting to not sound very good since i am worried they will all strip or be tough.

Dont worry! Just make sure they are cleaned out all the way so you can get the allen all the way in. If you think they might be tough it might be a good idea to just invest in a new set of allens so they grip better. I dont have any recommendations but a good set. Those cheap ones from taiwan or where ever that come in a cheap multiple piece tool set will twist.

Only one setscrew per sprocket one on the outboard bearing and 2 on the inner. The outboard collar can be cut with a chisel if necessary. The inner bearing ones should be easy. There should be only one setscrew per hole on your sprockets. The first spline axle ones used two in each hole. I usually put a bit of water in the bottom of the tub before heating the hubs. I've also had them come right out just expect to heat them to break loose the locktite. It's not as bad as it sounds. The max IV chassis manual is somewhere on this site. Read the factory procedure and look at the pics. You can get it good luck

Thanks guys! I am racing to finish my bilge pump install since that is definitely needed for any water use. I am HOPING that 1) my bearings from richard show up tomorrow and that 2) things go ok with the removal. It looked like there were other collars in there but hopefully like you say I will be able to clean them and get them out. Thanks again for the encouragement, I will post an update once I get going with them.

+ Reply to Thread