What you know about clutches?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What you know about clutches?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    Lol! I like to know all my options before I make a decision. I do love the TEAM clutch, as it seems to be the best choice for my application, without looking at prices. I don't know what a Comet runs for $$$, but I know they've been in clutches for a long time. Though, I guess that's not saying much, as certain car manufacturers can't seem to get it together after 100 years of design and R&D. Either way, just fishing for ideas, as that's the only way to make an educated decision.

If a comet is $300, and a TEAM is $400, I'd still go for the TEAM. But.... they seem to be ignoring my inquiries for the last few weeks. My money's not good enough for them I suppose???
    Give Roy a call or email at Quality Drive Service, he is outstanding at customer service, replies to emails and phone calls and is very knowledgeable as well.

JM2CW
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

The last I heard was that Comet went out business in 2009

Certified Parts Corporation bought Comet/Hoffco and are still manufacturing clutches, though I don't think on the scale Comet once did. Sometimes you have to wait a bit for certain parts, but the more common stuff is available immediately. I don't think they do any R&D like they used to, which is a shame, but at least we can still get parts for existing clutches.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I found a team roller clutch. Pretty decent price. Documentation says its for a Club Car or Gator. Gas or diesel. Price kind of makes me want to get it, then I can spend a bit to tune it if I have to. Shaft style doesn't really matter, will have one made. What you guys think of this?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_Magnum View Post
    I found a team roller clutch. Pretty decent price. Documentation says its for a Club Car or Gator. Gas or diesel. Price kind of makes me want to get it, then I can spend a bit to tune it if I have to. Shaft style doesn't really matter, will have one made. What you guys think of this?
    If you feel you can get it, tune it with parts for a decent price then go for it. I don't know enough about the clutches to comment about low RPM engagement along with a 3600 RPM or slightly less full shift....

You will need to have a shaft made regardless so that doesn't matter now does it?

Sounds like you made yer mind up and need permission...thus without being empowered to do so I give you that permission...buwa ha ha...
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

Just happened to have the two different units on the bench today, I see the $175 difference between the two. and yes, they can & will fully shift out @ 3K. just sayin' if Your gonna spend the time and money droppin' the diesel in why not complete the assembly. The larger Dia is gonna get ya more top end also

Quote Originally Posted by Nubs View Post
    Just happened to have the two different units on the bench today, I see the $175 difference between the two. and yes, they can & will fully shift out @ 3K. just sayin' if Your gonna spend the time and money droppin' the diesel in why not complete the assembly. The larger Dia is gonna get ya more top end also

Thank you for that Nubs, that's awesome having a Side by side view.

I now know I'll likely change out to that perhaps in the future. What is max dia?

It may be like win win for me, I could go to an 11" secondary and get even lower low and higher high LOL

Hmm..most likely have full shift around 2600 setup at max torque I would think...

Again awesome and Thanks so much
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

I have no doubts I will like the clutch I got. Hopefully won't have to do much for tuning. Do you know what spring and weights are in yours? That thing sure is big!!! Hope it fits in the tub!

Edit: Forgot to write in this thread. I got that clutch. Offered him $215 and he took it. With shipping and import fees, just under $300. He had two more still. If anyone else is interested.
    Last edited by Rudy_Magnum; 10-15-2014 at 11:27 PM.

I checked out that clutch, and it looks like it is for a tapered shaft. One cannot say for sure, however it does look like it would not fit my application on the engine side of the clutch, it appears it would stick way out and I"m not comfortable with that.

Surely with having to custom build your adapter this will be fine for you I suspect, but I've already got my 1" keyed shaft made from the stock PTO so change is not really an option at this time.

Gosh I hope these work well in diesel cause I want one for higher gearing and better tunability.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?

Al "Camo pants"

hi Magnum, sorry for my english im not really good at it ! Nice project with your diesel engine swap!
    I have done some mods also to my response 1997, using the famous suzuki g10 engine 1 liter. As clutching i use polaris snowmobile clutch and team secondary (with the good bore for the transmission). A machinist made me an adapter to bolt on the flywheel and taper bore for the clutch.

good things with polaris clutch is aftermarket parts you can get to fine tune for low rpm shift. and for backshifting the secondary quick to have tons of torque when you turn.

here is my project page if you want some informations of parts i used in clutch and secondary :

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...h-machine.html

at page 4 theres some informations on what parts i use in both clutch.. hope this can helps in your project!

+ Reply to Thread