Max iv axle sprocket mod

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Max iv axle sprocket mod

Max iv axle sprocket mod

Hi I'm kind of new here and just picked up a Max iv I have to change the axle bearings and the set screws are loose on the splines so I was wondering if anyone has drilled right through and put like a 3/8 bolt through to replace set screw setup? I don't think it would weaken the axle that much what do you 6x6 experts think.

Best to use locking collars or groove axles for snaprings as in the 2005-2013 years. Drilling through does weaken the axle. The wear is usually on the splined hub as the setscrew models weren't greasable in the splines. Newer ones use one piece sprockets with a grease zerk to keep splines lubed. I don't see the wear in properly lubed ones that I would see in the setscrew models. Be sure to heat the hubs to remove the setscrews as they are locktite in place. 97-99 had two setscrews in each hole and were 1/4". Later ones were 5/16 and were more reliable.

Maybe a hole is not such a good idea I just thought it would take some of the play out of it as the splines are a little loose

I asked the same question some months back. The response was yes, holes have been drilled but the axles did indeed break. Thus, not a good idea.
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

+ Reply to Thread