T20 Adjustment Question (or, does this look normal to you?)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: T20 Adjustment Question (or, does this look normal to you?)

T20 Adjustment Question (or, does this look normal to you?)

Hi. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and have learned a lot, but I am new to anything with 6 wheels. I recently picked up a used Max IV, and have started to go through it. It seems to drive normally, except the laterals are not even. The left one is a few inches behind the right. That led me to pull the engine and have a closer look at the transmission. It now seems like the uneven-ness is due to slack on the right side (they seem to be "adjusted" to the same position up front where the tie rods connect, but there is slack int he right U channel). Once the slack is taken up they seem to have the same travel- about 6" Anyway, my question has to do with the pictures below. The left side top plunger is much further out of the case than the right. What could this mean? The bottom plungers are about even.
    This first one is with the laterals in the normal spring-loaded forward position. I should mention I removed the pin on the left side (right in the picture) to try turning that bolt- it isn't missing.
    image1.jpg

This one is of them pulled back, I think. I took this picture last week.
    image2.jpg

I would rather not pull the T20 and split the case if I don't have to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. It's not uncommon for plungers to be unequal. This can be just from unequal band lengths or bands that are worn differently. For all you know, the right band could be new and the left one just older. If the transmission is operating properly, just adjust the left lateral to match the right. You can do that up at the laterals themselves, not at the T20. The only thing I would mention is that your left plunger does seem to be out further than I would like to see on mine. I would monitor it and see if it gets any worse and if so, definitely pull the transmission and investigate.

IMHO, that right plunger is out too far. This is caused by excessive ban wear or can be from drum bronze bushing wear. I would split open the tranny and check it out being a used machine new to you. If the band gets worn down to the metal it will score the drum and cause an expensive repair. I know it's a pain, but better safe than sorry.

Having just taken apart a T20 I found that with the lining still complete I needed the plunger close to the position your picture shows. I am going with it, there was 1.5mm lining left.
    Any sign to watch for that indicate the lining is gone?
    cheers
    brxl

Thanks for the replies. I'll order a gasket and split the case and have a look just to be safe. At that point, how hard is it to remove/install the bands? I might as well get them relined if its easy.

It's very easy to get the bands out once you open it up.

There is a guy on YouTube that does a great job repairing the T-20. One video explains the adjusting, and another he walks you through a band job. Definitely worth a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcrowder69 View Post
    There is a guy on YouTube that does a great job repairing the T-20. One video explains the adjusting, and another he walks you through a band job. Definitely worth a watch.
    There are videos right on this site that will show you how to repair a T-20. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...build-how.html
    "Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

IMG_5899.jpgFinally got around to working on the Max again. The diamond shifters look worn. First is the left one. Is that still serviceable? Second is the left. That no longer looks serviceable. Is there a way to replace just the pins? Thanks for the help!
    Attached Images

I have never done it but yes, other users have replaced just the pins.

+ Reply to Thread