2 vs 4

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 vs 4

2 vs 4

what are some differences about the 2 cycle and 4 cycle engine? advantages?

2 cycle generally have pretty good power for size as there are twice the power strokes per rpm, that is why they were always very popular for small hand tools and other engines. They generally were fairly efficient. The downside was mixing oil to the gas could foul plugs and make starting hard in cold weather and such., however, having the oil mixed with the gas, made them great for chain saws and other tools that were held at any angle....you did not have to worry about engine oil getting the right lubrication.

The flip side on the 4 cycle is there is less power strokes per rpm and the engines were a bit larger and heavier. They also have to have an oil sump so the engine needs to remain fairly upright. The plugs do not foul as easily and generally cold starting is a bit easier, but thick summer weight oil could make starting in cold weather a bit of a chore.

Here is a pretty good link....https://www.protoolreviews.com/news/...-engines/3713/
    Last edited by hipowerone; 04-01-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbyrne View Post
    what are some differences about the 2 cycle and 4 cycle engine? advantages?
    I thought you had a 2 season engine? spring and summer.lol

ya your right there lol. when i think about hours 800 is not alot for a 25 year old machine my quad is a 2005 and has 1000 hours. and shes a 2 season to lol

Plain and simple low end torque, you can not crawl a 2 stoke as the power band is higher than your top end.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Plain and simple low end torque, you can not crawl a 2 stoke as the power band is higher than your top end.
    That's not necessarily true. A 2 stoke and a 4 stroke of the same HP will produce the same torque when geared properly.
    That said it is very odd to see a 2 stroke with low gearing. Usually the applications of a 2 stroke needed high speed and minimal gear reduction. But it can be done. Look at how fast 2 stroke AATVs sprint around vs 4 strokes. Gear the 2 stroke AATV way down and it will match the torque of the 4 stroke... granted most don't want to sit behind a screaming engine at 10 mph so it's not the norm. A good example is the older Rokons or Cushman Tracksters. Could go 2-5 MPH in low with the 2 stroke screaming away, had more torque than you could ever need.

Though that brings up the good point which is 4 strokes are a lot less frenzied and loud compared to their 2 stroke counterparts, which makes them better for going for relaxing rides in an AATV vs adrenaline filled stunts on a dirt bike.

Another point, which is less important on an amphibious vehicle but 2 strokes are a lot more hardy when flooded with water. I would counter
    hipowerone's comment on efficiency. Efficiency is retaliative based on intended application. A 2 stroke makes more power per weight which could mean it is more efficient, but it also does so with reduced fuel efficiency compared to a 4 stroke. This lack of efficiency and kinda spitting gas, exhaust and oil out of them all the time makes them more immune to hydro lock when driven under water. I've seen a lot of 2 strokes swamped and fired right back up... not so much with 4 strokes.

+ Reply to Thread