Max ii chain adjusters

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max ii chain adjusters

Max ii chain adjusters

Is any body making chain adjusters similar to Richards relics upgrade adjusters? I need adjusters but 195+ shipping is salty. I would build my own but my electric service can't handle my welder. Even a source for factory cheaper than 48 bucks a piece would be a step in the right direction until I can build my own. Thank you for any help.

dw.. seems that you could probably make your own without needing to weld. if you maybe used a 2'' wide x 3/16'' flat bar metal, cut it the right length ( height of original adjusters ) . drill holes at the bottom to bolt it to the frame where the original adjuster went. then drill and cut a vertical slot at the top to give some adjustment to slide a roller down to keep the chain tight. i bought some roller chain rollers from a co. called black ace with bearings and they have worked great on my max 2. i think they were around $ 30 . get them for a 3/8'' o.d. bolt. then buy the right length bolt to get the roller centered over the chain. use a washer on each side of the roller, the a lock nut . then thru the slot with another lock nut to tighten the bolt after you push it down on the chain. make sure the vertical slot is 3/8'' also. if the rollers are more than you want to spend, you can get a short 11/2'' round piece of white delrin rod from mcmaster carr co. and use that against the chain. it does'nt need to roll ... just bolt it tight to the 2'' flat bar after cutting it maybe 2'' long with a 3/8'' hole in the middle. just a idea for you....... johnboy va.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    dw.. seems that you could probably make your own without needing to weld. if you maybe used a 2'' wide x 3/16'' flat bar metal, cut it the right length ( height of original adjusters ) . drill holes at the bottom to bolt it to the frame where the original adjuster went. then drill and cut a vertical slot at the top to give some adjustment to slide a roller down to keep the chain tight. i bought some roller chain rollers from a co. called black ace with bearings and they have worked great on my max 2. i think they were around $ 30 . get them for a 3/8'' o.d. bolt. then buy the right length bolt to get the roller centered over the chain. use a washer on each side of the roller, the a lock nut . then thru the slot with another lock nut to tighten the bolt after you push it down on the chain. make sure the vertical slot is 3/8'' also. if the rollers are more than you want to spend, you can get a short 11/2'' round piece of white delrin rod from mcmaster carr co. and use that against the chain. it does'nt need to roll ... just bolt it tight to the 2'' flat bar after cutting it maybe 2'' long with a 3/8'' hole in the middle. just a idea for you....... johnboy va.

Thats a great idea, thank you again. That's in my price range for sure, but spending over 200 on a set is a little tough for me at this point, that cuts into my repower money lol

Johnboy adjusters

Johnboy,
    If you get a chance can you send me a picture or two of your adjusters so I know if it's the same as what I have going on in my head?

dw, mine are a little different because i have a custom frame and my chains are on the outside. if you look at the richard relics max2 chain tensioners...that's the basic idea. just a wide enough plate that you can drill holes in at the bottom to match the holes where the originals were if possible. plate needs to be thick enough so it won't bend and tall enough so the roller is pushing down on the chain with the slot long enough to give you some more '' push down'' if the chain loosens. maybe a slot 2'' long. if it's on the chains where the tensioner is pulled up to tighten the chain, it's the same idea but the roller will be lower on the flatbar and the slot made so pulling up on the roller will tighten the chain. maybe someone on here will post some pics of some they have made close to this design that will help. also if you punch in '' roller chain tensioners'' there are lot's of pics of very simple designs. keep us posted how it goes. j.b.

Quote Originally Posted by john swenson View Post
    dw, mine are a little different because i have a custom frame and my chains are on the outside. if you look at the richard relics max2 chain tensioners...that's the basic idea. just a wide enough plate that you can drill holes in at the bottom to match the holes where the originals were if possible. plate needs to be thick enough so it won't bend and tall enough so the roller is pushing down on the chain with the slot long enough to give you some more '' push down'' if the chain loosens. maybe a slot 2'' long. if it's on the chains where the tensioner is pulled up to tighten the chain, it's the same idea but the roller will be lower on the flatbar and the slot made so pulling up on the roller will tighten the chain. maybe someone on here will post some pics of some they have made close to this design that will help. also if you punch in '' roller chain tensioners'' there are lot's of pics of very simple designs. keep us posted how it goes. j.b.
    I definitely will, I have some welding to do on the frame and add some gussets and bracing but as soon as that's done I have some new stuff to go back on. Designing tensioners should be cake with the frame out in the open. I hope.

Gonna try these cool guy motorcycle chain tension rollers from eBay. If they turn out to be junk at least they will help me get my tensioners made.
    Attached Images

dw...i believe they will hold up well. motorcycle chain goes way faster than our aatv's. the bearings need to be good for speeds from 30 to 60 m.p.h. i would think. should be easy to use for they tensioners you design. look forward to some pics....have fun designing !! johnboy va.

Chain tensioners
    Attached Images
    DanW

dan...they look great and i think they will work good. nice design and easy to adjust. johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread