Max iv no top speed

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Max iv no top speed

Max iv no top speed

Hello I have older max iv that is pretty much a total restore project I replaced both clutches and had the tranny rebuilt . And I put a 23 hp Briggs on it .. the problem I seem to be having is it feels like driving a truck with the E break on .. the clutches ramp up fin in natural but when I put it in gear it has no top speed and and the clutches won't ramp up ..chains are adjusted right I adjusted them with the max off the ground .it has torque just no top end at all im going to try a new belt next and adjust the deflection I'm lost I've
    Sunk a ton of money in this max it still won't preform please help .!!!

Thanks joe .

What would you say max speed is? What size tires do you have? Is the engine reaching high rpm? Is the break pedal down in the locked position? Just s few quick things to check first.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Brand new 22s break is not hung up brake bands are loose top speed is about 4 miles an hour The engine doesn't seem to revel up when engine is in neutral engine will revel up in both clutches will ramp up the full way The Max will not climb hills it will go halfway up and then the engine will just sit there it low rpm's in hold its position on the hill

Have someone watch the clutches while you drive and make sure the belt is reaching the outside edge of the primary clutch. My guess is the governor is your problem.

Maybe the belt is slipping when under a load? You would think you could hear it squeal.

The top clutch dosent open up much at all while driving I can drive it and watch it the same time
    Full throttle it's might be running at 2200 rpms or less while on the ground in gear even with the wheeles
    Off the ground it's sluggish while rpms build and both
    Clutches ramp up the whole way .. should I try a brand new belt or try to adjust the govern first .??

Also if I pull back on the stick while driving the engine will rev up and the clutches will start to open up and the engine will rev up.. like feathering a clutch
    Last edited by Zerkmen; 11-26-2017 at 04:39 PM.

Can you get more rpm,s by working the throttle on the carb by hand? Is the throttle cable hooked up in such a way that it's not pulling it all the way open? Just trying to check all the simple stuff first.

They do put different governor springs on these machines from the factory. If the throttle cable is pulling all the way my guess would be the governor.

The engine I just put in it was in a lawn tractor.. would it be tuned differently? Since it was in a lawn tractor .. it's a brigs vanguard 23 hp

Governor spring is probably weaker.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

+ Reply to Thread