New to the 6x6 hustler 950

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to the 6x6 hustler 950

New to the 6x6 hustler 950

I just purchased what I believe is a hustler 6x6 950. It has the Kohler 16hp in it. Needs a new paint job and thorough cleaning, but everything seems to work. I thought I was a pretty good deal at 650$. I do have a couple of questions however, and would appreciate any help. My biggest issue currently is that it doesn’t charge the battery while running. After about an hour with the lights on the battery is to low to start it up again. I can’t see a generator on it, so what do I test? There’s a squeal from the belt if I don’t give it enough gas, what causes that? How do I properly tension all the chains? Again any help is greatly appreciated, and I will post pictures as o work on it and clean it up thank you!

And how do I post pictures

Welcome Esantoyo30. Congratulations on your 6x6. Here's some info that may be helpful:

Paint - If you are referring to the plastic body as needing a new paint job, they were not painted from the factory. The plastic is green and it is difficult to get paint to stick. You may want to consider just stripping the paint off to get back to the factory green plastic.

Charging the battery - I'm not familiar with your engine, but generally these small engines have a stator behind the flywheel that serves as the charging mechanism. As the engine runs, the magnet on the flywheel passes around the stator and generates AC current. There should be a wire or perhaps two wires coming from behind the flywheel that leads to a regulator/rectifier. The rectifier converts the AC current to DC current, and the regulator keeps it from overcharging the battery. Any of these components could be bad, or you could have a wiring problem.

Belt squeal - The belt is squealing because it is too tight. It stops squealing when you give it gas because the drive clutch bites down in order to deliver power to the transmission. The real question is why is the belt too tight? If one of your clutches is not working properly (meaning it is not traveling through its full range of motion) then it is keeping the belt from fully relaxing at idle. Your idle could be too high also. You could have the wrong belt for the machine. As far as tensioning the belt, I think the engine and transmission came from the factory with no adjustment. Can you tell if a previous owner modified the engine mount to make it adjustable?

Chain tension - Each chain has a nylon roller that serves as the tensioner. If it is working properly, you should be able to loosen the bolt in the center of the roll and slide it to tighten the chain. It is best to have the wheels off the ground when tightening the chains so the slack will roll out. You want the chains tight enough so there is no more than a half inch or so of play.

Post some pics and perhaps we can give you better answers to your issues.

Thanks for the replies! There are the pictures. Needs a good cleaning for sure. What’s the best way to strip the paint? Heat maybe? What size belt should I have on there? Anything else I should look at doing to it? Thanks again I really appreciate it

Can it be repaired with fiberglass?

+ Reply to Thread